Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8" Ford rear; axle seal installation question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Mar 30, 2016.

1. atch

atch

So far this evening I've removed one seal (southern engineering at its best), cleaned the inside of the axle tube, and made (more southern engineering) a seal installation tool. Before this afternoon the axle housing was totally bare (except for the two old axle seals); cleaned; and painted. I've installed the gearset per another question post I made here recently. I posted that one over a month ago thinking I was within a day or two of needing the information. Life gets in the way, doesn't it? Thanx for all who responded to that one.

Tonight's question is: do I put RTV on the seal (or housing) before installation or is the red sort of sticky/rubbery coating on the seal the actual seal between the seal and the axle housing. Sorry about the many uses of the word "seal". Hope this isn't misleading.

I'll be installing both seals tonight and be ready to install backing plates and all new brake internals tomorrow. Then it's time to install the whole shebang under Clarence and go for a drive!!!

And again; THANX ahead of time for all help.

2. squirrel

squirrel

I use a pliable sealer like Permatex Aviation sealer on the outside of the seal. The red stuff is supposed to seal it, though. If you get the seal in perfectly straight, as you're installing it.

3. roundvalley

roundvalley

I put a light grease film on them and install.

4. Ole don

Ole don

Hey Mike, if you welded on the housing, before you screw on the backing plates, check for a heat warp. Clamp a three foot long 1/2 x 1/2 aluminum angle to the flange on each side, then measure at the axle, and three feet out. Do this vertically, and straight ahead. If warped, weld around the opposite side where you welded before to bring it straight. Just a bead at about the same heat will do it.
    Cruise well my friend.

saltflats likes this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would not use the RTV
    Use some brush on sealer.

6. atch

atch

Thanx everyone.

Don, Thanx for the thoughts. The housing was welded on about 25 years and two sets of seals ago. I don't remember any leaks either time these were replaced, but "while it was apart...". You know how that goes. An ounce of prevention etc. That's the only reason I'm replacing them now. I had intended to relocate the housing to on top of the springs instead of under them this winter, which would have meant cutting the spring perches off and welding new ones on, but decided at this time to reassemble as-is.