Register now to get rid of these ads!

8 for show 4 for GO! May monthly banger meeting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SUHRsc, May 1, 2007.

1. PM sent.

10 thou over stock? Whats stock?

You should be running between 12-18 thou. I run 16 thou gaps. If you run anything over 20 thou you'll kill the coils and greatly shorten the life of the mag.

2. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

so how about some detail shots of the chassis.? looks good from here, I assume you are keeping the wheel base at 99". I am getting to the point of seriously wanting a set of wires.

so is that "C type" in the backround?

I am in the process of redoing the body on my speedster, which i hope to have a complete card board mock up done here tomorrow, then its of to the sheet meatl supplier for more materials.

3. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Biscuit, I have some detail shots from back when the chassis was first done, I will try to find them.

The car in the background is a P-Type with a Q body on it. It was a basket case for decades then we built it up over what seems like ten years at least.

Buffalos are the way to go if you can find them. My dad has another set on a Torpedo...totally changes the look of the car, rides better, etc.

Cris

4. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Also, here's a motor that's discussed every once in a great while around here...this example has never been used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cris

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Nice. Crosley?

-Dave

6. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i dont think i am patient enough to put together a set of buffalo's or houks, when i can buy a new set of mclarens...but there is somethign about them that isn't just right...I just order my torpedo tank this afternoon, so one more part down. :cool:

cool beans on the MG!

7. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Yup, Crosley. Engine is for a racing hydroplane, Y-class.

We looked at McLarens (and still do actually) and came to the same conclusion...they would be so much easier and more affordable to use...but that hub, for me it falls apart right there at the hub...the subtlest little differences in the shape, as well as the exposed lugnuts takes away so much from the overall look. My dad had to send out both sets of Buffalos to be completely rebuilt. They're expensive to buy, expensive to make right, and there is zero instant gratification given the time you have to wait, but they absolutely transform these cars. In five years people will be talking about how cheap Buffalo and Houk stuff was in 2007.

Cris

8. Pictures of Hotroddickies engine.

I thought I had a substantial magneto bracket!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The hub is definately the starting point for the change of look. Also it is the way the spokes are done (the inner lacing is basically vertical, which gives the outer lacing of spokes a very prounced inward slope, which is much more common on 30's style wheels. and looks less pleasing on 30 x 3.5") But I think I will still go for a set, just for the sake of ease of purchasing.

also what kind of gas tank are you using?

10. Zach your roadster loks dynamite. As does the other cars on here!
    Great stuff!
    I have been working on my 29 pick up. Just finishing off the front end and steering. Just got to mount the muffler and tail pipe and the exhaust is done too.
    Its makind good progress though.

11. HOTRODDICKIE

HOTRODDICKIE

Clark Yeah, bracket was on a drag racing SBC I had years ago been in my cupboard since, after your comments about the dissy bolt in the head shearing I blew the dust off it!
    Will just tie it down to a bracket coming off the head bolt.
    Rich

12. Ah c'mon Rich - that's almost ready for the end of May surely....?!!!
    poke to Bob to chivvy him up - wasn't that happy with the farriers, but Bob is a fussy bugger sometimes...

13. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Ok guys,...here's a small question,...but an important one for me for personal reasons...

Anyone have a picture of a "Burns" intake for a 4 banger?? I've heard of them but need to see one as there is one coming with the engine I'm picking up....thanks in advance!

14. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Pretty sure 4ever4 has a Burns intake....

15. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

4ever4,...thanks,....yeah bought a nice built engine from a guy in Jersey last night,...Thomas head, winfield cam, mallory dizzy, etc.....said it came with a Burns intake,...but being that I talk to much and we got along so well, we both totally forgot about it!!! OOPS!! Have to call him and get it sent out to me ASAP,...I want that sucker!!!

Thanks again,..I'll post pics later of the engine.... oh and it was built by Ray Stillwell,....very cool!

16. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Burns also did a single intake, they occassionally come up on eBay. It was a better looking intake than the Ansen one I'm using but I don't know whether they flow any better.

17. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

18. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

Not been around that much - working on the truck - new clutch and bearings

Bit more work on the doors and now have glass in my doors.

Looking to fit a wishbone tow bar that will lift into the bed for storage.

sorted some leaks sump rear - as you do unless you have a converstion.

gathering parts for a five window coupe

Booked the Rockabilly Rave and The Hayride

Went to the Ace for the summer riot

and that is it.

19. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Taking part in the Four-Banger Meltdown at the drags, Simon?

20. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Ok,..here's the skinny on what I picked up.

B block with B crank, winfield cam, Thomas head (7:1??), .030 over pistons, Mallory dizzy, .adjustable tappets, new babbit, new rods, lightened aluminum flywheel and V8 clutch,and Burns intake (though he has to mail it to me as we got to talking and I forgot to grab it!!??),..figures!

Now I noticed that the block has a vertical crack in it between the third and fourth cylinder,..but it looks to be the water jacket only,...though I'm not sure as I'm not an expert??!!:confused: If its just the water jacket I'll repair it,...there's also a small horizonal crack just above the oil pan, about two inches above the pan,..and about 1" long,..but its weird 'cause its in the middle of that area, not at and end or anything, like it happened out of nowhere.

I had been told by the former owner that it was built by Ray Stillwell,...and another fellow said that it was true,..sopposedly the block was Ray's and came out of his '32 roadster??

Just a few pics for now, one of the engine, and some of the crack issues...sorry batteries went dead!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let me know what you guys think of the damage,..fixable, worth fixing,...really bad,..etc.?? Keep in mind I'm a boilermaker/welder, so welding wont be an issue, but I'd like knowledgable input from those who truely know. Thanks as always in advance!

21. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

One last interesting thing that came with the deal was a GREAT A chassis,...totally complete and runnable,...WITH an A engine,....

However!!??....what makes the A engine so interesting is that it was supposedly rebuilt also and I noticed this marking on the head <c> which should be a diamond C head right? Also has "Made in USA" on the head. I took a look at the rest of the block,..it doesnt show the diamond in the usual places, though it looks like someone might have ground it off?? Kinda weird!
    It does have an "H" and another letter (cant remember right now) cast into the back of the block by the flywheel...what would that be??

So, anyway,....that's that. I'll get pics of the chassis and that other engine.

22. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Jacket crack should be easily fixable...other crack: Does it approach a main web?? Is there damage inside, like a rod hit there? Kind of a puzzle here.
    And that flywheel...WTH? I think it is TWO wheels, with one on legs! Whatever you have, it will be very interesting to dissect!

23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My first plymouth 4 had a small crack in the crankcase area. I stop drilled it and JB welded it. Took the thing to El Mirage. Ran it. It was still running when I went home, but the small crack went from #1 to #4 and had migrated to both sides. Crank was bent, rear main cracked, center main cap and web in pan. Front cover cracked. Don't think I'll try that again.

24. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Yeah...get some more batteries and show us more of that flywheel!

25. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

YIKES!!!

Well I'm thinking more along the lines of TIG welding that sucker up the best I can,...we'll see. Fact is I'm still waiting to hear the news on a Diamond B block I took to the machinist as to whether or not its cracked or good. The only thing that is a bit upsetting on that one is the top deck,...needs to be decked due to some pitting,...the fact that there is a slight depression where the gasket sits right around the lifters by the second cylinder worries me,(its not big but its the exact shape ogf the gasket that sits there)...
    ..I wonder if this will pose an issue??

26. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

yeah i was puzzled about how that second crack has come about?? I'll drop the pan in a few days and take a look-see,...hopefully I wont gasp when its opened up!!!:eek: :confused:

As far as the flywheel,....I was told that Ray made it from an old aluminum flathead V8 flywheel,...dont ask me how but yeah, its kinda two flywheels, one with legs,...funky but supposedly Ray said it works great before he sold it off to the guy I bought it from??!!??

27. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Here's more photos of that clutch,...not taking it apart tonight,...maybe another time perhaps....then we can see more. I'm actually interested to see if that engine in the chassis is actually a Diamond A,....I'm thinking with the head thats on it,...there's a chance??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Now here are some photos of the Model A engine that is currently in the chassis I picked up. I have no history on the engine,....so the head could have been added later.

You'll see the <c> or just a diamond on the head, but what I'd like to decipher are the stampings here and there on the block along with the letter "H" (there's another about two inches beside the "H" but I cant make it out,..think it might be a "J"? These letters are cast into the block, not stamped.

Stamping on block, very distinct, sharp stamp...either a ,c> or just a <> stamp??
    [​IMG]

"MODEL A" cast into the head...
    [​IMG]

A strange partial "0" stamping on the corner of the block by vavle cover...sorry, its a little fuzzy.
    [​IMG]

Another "0" or and "O",...this one is above one of the intake ports...
    [​IMG]

The "H" cast into the passenger side rear area of the block...again sorry bout the fuzzyness!!
    [​IMG]

Shot of engine number stamping,...just incase it was brought into question.
    [​IMG]

Just a shot of how she sits now,...yeah that's a 26-27 T roadster body,...starting to clean her up, lots of very small pitting,....plans are to lower her out, reverse eye springs front/back, '32 front axle, juice brakes, 15" spoked or steel wheels, 600x15 rubber, (had played with idea of leaving the 19" in the rear and going 15" in the front for bigger wheel diameter in the rear=more speed, ever see this done, dont know how it would look,..possibly very stupid!!??), possibly a '39-'41 Ford rear diff with same year wishbones and a small kickup in the rear ala Tardel's kickup in the how to build a traditional ford hot rod book...possibly channel it over frame 3-4" TOPS! That's it, should give me the good 'ol early 40s late 30s look I'm after.
    [​IMG]

29. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Personally, I'd leave her on the Model A wires. Looks pretty cool as she sits.

-Dave