Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8.8 Ford rear - extra shock?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JonF, Oct 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. JonF

JonF

My 8.8 rear end has a shock right next to the u-joint on the right side. I used it and another one just like it and mounted them at each axle end up to the frame. They are stiff like the dickens. What was that center-mounted shock on the Explorer for?

2. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

It's just an axle damper to control body roll. It's a 50/50 valved shock like a steering stabilizer, so it has the same force for compression and rebound.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I don't believe it's to prevent body roll, it's too centrally located for that function. I think it is to dampen axle rotation (wrap) under load and during varying traction conditions.

Ray

loudbang and metlmunchr like this.
  4. stimpy

stimpy

it was to help dampen the axle side to side movement ( when taken off the vehicle sometimes wandered if the springs were old or when loaded heavy and you would bust the rear sway bar and parts out of its mounts over time ). its not a shock but like said a dampner ( you really dont need it ) , quadra shock was the axle roll up control they used on the mustang version of the axle and it worked somewhat well but the axle was coil spring and 4 link .