Register now to get rid of these ads!

8.8 Ford Axle, 2 sets of gears, which bearings should I use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, Jun 27, 2013.

1. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

I just wanted to clarify something.

I have a used 8.8 with 30k on it. It was not L/S Trac Loc etc. So I bought a mustang trac loc unit that was supposed to have around 30k on it.

The guy shipped it with the bearings and races, fastened to the side they came off of. I need to use these races with the unit correct? And the caps won't matter......

Also I noticed the races on my unit (original ford) say nothing, his are stamped Timken. Makes me wonder if this unit has more miles on it than I was told and these are replacements???

Thanks Fellas.

2. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

Or maybe it has 30k on a rebuild.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I change carriers, I use the same gears. I will remove the bearings from the old carrier, extract and carefully save the shims. I will then install fresh bearings on the replacement carrier, using the shims, from the old carrier, on the correct sides as original.

I have lost track of how many I have done, 40-50 'ish. Zero failures. The Dodge diesel I did in 1996, is still on the road, and has about 350k miles since then.

I'm calling that good.