Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8:20 Slicks and Chrome Reverse Rims

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 33Doll, Apr 23, 2020.

1. 33Doll

33Doll

I hate all this rear end with measuring BS! But I actually did it as accurate as I could possibly get it with two straight edges counting all the lines looks to be 59 7/16-ish?
    The only chart that I can find that matches that looking at several because none of them have the same measurements!
    I figure it’s the 67 to 70 Ford Mustangs, cougars Mercury’s whatever.
    The only chart that I could find says
    59. 375 which is probably close enough. Anyway it’s not near as wide as I thought it was, so it’s gonna work I just got to figure out my wheel combo.
    I don’t have thousands of dollars to spend on expensive currie rear ends,
    Or spending lots of time driving to peoples houses and looking at and measuring different rear ends, trying to make something work, and yada yada!
    If the wheel ain’t broke....
    Leave it be says I!

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  2. 33Doll

33Doll

3. http://oregonhotrod.com/Rear Axle Measurements.htm

48BF38F1-2797-4B83-AB35-C3823FE8D21B.png

Going by what I see you do on that build thread, I’m sure you could do the fab work on that rear and narrow that rear housing too if you wanted to. Or you can get a new housing for a few hundred and save time.

so What’s the plan for those parallel rear bars anyway. Are you still planing to make P&J style set up?

And I’m sure you can pull this one off as well.
    https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/02/Steelies/index.php
    Id skip the Chinese chrome and get them ceramic powder coated. Way cheaper, more durable- shines more like polished aluminum than mirror chrome.

Mostly time if you’re doing it all.

33Doll likes this.
  4. 33Doll

33Doll

Lol! Like the wheel Article! I could totally do that!
    As far as the rear end, I’m beginning to regret I ever even mentioned it LOL!
    The plan is, to pull the axles and the third member, inspect, degrease it, and clean everything, replace the oil seals put it back together put new brake shoes hardware, clean it up and paint it! As far as the parallel bars, I’m going to put a big triangular 1/8 inch gusset along the bottom of the crossmember and the outer rail to spread the load, where the front mounts, and Call it good! I really don’t feel like cutting all that nice bracketry for the buggy set up
    Its already there.
    IMG_9454.JPG IMG_9456.JPG IMG_9457.JPG

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  5. There’s quite a controversy on the removal of the torque tube and running single lower bars like you have there. Some guys say there’s nothing to worry about and some guys have broken them causing damage some heavy.
    I’d suggest you do some research on that one so you feel good about it. I would not do it because I’ve seen them break.
    The next issue I’d look at and research is how parallel bars on the axle act as body roll limiting device. Aka anti roll bar or anti sway bar. For sure that phenomenon breaks shit apart. But do your own research so you feel comfortable about that.
    Now If you look at those two issues combined, after some research I’m more than reasonably certain you’ll see that is all a really bad idea.
    Since you already know the rear end is too wide for the WT look you want, and you research those above issues with the bars that are certainly questionable at best,,, you’ll see taking care of everything on the rear axle is really the best choice.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  6. 33Doll

33Doll

Thanks for-the advice and concerns, I will probably , do some things.
    Thanks

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If you want half that I'd go with 9" cheater slicks, and an 8.5" wheel. The 8.5" wheels usually have a 50-50 spacing, and the narrower 9" cheater slick will look much better on there. I went from 10" on 10" rims, to 9" on 8.5" rims and it was a huge difference.

These are the same tire you have now:

[​IMG]

And these are 9"x15" Towel City Cheater slicks on 8.5" rims on same car after paint work:

[​IMG]

The difference was surprising.

town sedan and 33Doll like this.
  8. 33Doll

33Doll

Thanks!
    Big Difference

9. 33Doll

33Doll

Actually My dad did have 60’s on it forever then bought the N-50s for some reason when they wore out same 10”rims it was alot different
    Adjustments.JPG
    FFB81D18-7B16-4142-BCB8-69AB6DC28A28.jpeg

10. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

You'd probably be better off to concentrate on the frontspacing of the wheel for comparison purposes. This 10" wheel would have a frontspacing of 6.75" (11-4.25). It looks like you have about 3.25" of fender clearance, so this wheel sticks out about 3.5" past the fender. For comparison, a 15x7 with a 3.25" backspacing will have a frontspacing of 4.75" and will stick out past the fender about 1.5".

11. 33Doll

33Doll

After tossing and turning several times about which direction to go building my car.
    I really like this Clayton’s hot rod 33!
    Simple old school!

As much as I like the American graffiti style, I don’t think it would look right on the 33. It’s always been mostly all traditional/original other than a few newer - upgrades. Which piss off “some” of the “traditionalist Hot rod purists”
    Some can be as anal as the “stock” purists over on F. Barn!
    I get it Though! They are trying to carve out a little “protected” bubble out of time.
    But I have always hated rules,
    Thats why I can never belong to any club. Lone-Wolf-Mc-Rick!
    (I have never colored inside the lines, on anything!Old Punker here! Oi!)

As cool as some of these new/old races they have now...
    I’d never make the TROG, or Flathead Nationals inspections!
    Oh well, I will just have to watch.
    Its MY car Anyway Dammit!
    You either like or NOT!
    My 3 cents
    -Rick
    IMG_9490.JPG IMG_9487.JPG IMG_9488.JPG IMG_9489.JPG IMG_9492.JPG

alfin32 likes this.
  12. Dude. How could you not make it look like this? It's perfect! Early Times FTW! image.jpeg

33Doll likes this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm guessing that guys who run cheater slicks on the street to be cool don't really drive the cars on long cross country road trips where they stand a good chance of running into gully washer rain storms. Or don't figure that they ever will. I've hydroplaned and spun out three different times with wide rear tires on the 48 including ending up in the bar ditch twice. I sure don't want to take a chance on cheater slicks cute and grafitti look or no.

14. 33Doll

33Doll

I still have those wheels too, but the tires are really old, Easy switch it up for local stuff!
    IMG_7496.JPG

cactus1 likes this.
  15. rudestude

rudestude

It's not necessarily for the "cool" factor but more towards a traditional image that your wanting to accomplish.
    And a traditional Hot Rod that is running cheater slicks is a image of a car that is probably not going to be motoring the family down the freeway.
    Tires and wheels can be easily changed for a particular event, plus back in the day when they were just Hot Rods ...traditionally they weren't built to be practical...you had to drive them , you felt them , you heard them, they were as much a part of you as you were part of them...and if that image was considered you were cool...you earned it.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Maicobreako likes this.
  16. Flamed48

Flamed48

[​IMG][​IMG]

Not the best pics but the red car I belive is a 33-34 Ford and has the look your after

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. 33Doll

33Doll

6C442084-EB1B-4316-8E15-33CFEB970C68.jpeg Wow! Never really knew how much I am like Charlie Brown!
    So wishy-Washy I am!
    Changed my mind 30 times!
    On Wheels!!!
    Looking Back 3 Years ago!
    Come a long way! Though!!

NealinCA and Primered Forever like this.