Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 79 year old drag racer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36couper, Jul 27, 2014.

1. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

One of our fellow Roadmates club members, Ronnie Calder, has had a life long passion for drag racing, starting in the 50's. He recently got back into it after at 40+ year absence.
    He also still has the Model A roadster he bought as a youngster back in the 50's.
    He is racing an altered T in the Ontario Nostalgic Drag Racing series.
    I'd like to have the health and enthusiasm Ron has when I'm 79!!
    Here are a few pics I took today:
    Ronnie in his altered
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Other pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. captmullette

captmullette

good pics , thanks

3. williebill

williebill

Good pics, GREAT story..... he's got 18 years on me, and my respect for doing what he loves at his age.

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Ronnie Just Rules!!!!!!

5. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

You're right Jeff. He is having the time of his life. They were running the 1/8 mile today. His best qualifying run was 100mph and about 6.75
    He is working on his reaction time. I think he may take a nap at the starting line

6. loudbang

loudbang

Don't mess with us old guys we will beat you with our experience. :rolleyes:

7. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good for him. It's great to be able to do something that you love.

8. Inspiring to say the least. I am now 64 and was beginning to wonder how much longer I will be able to race. I thought perhaps a year or so however I have now decided to lose 60 to 80 lbs and give it my best to keep at it as long as possible. The heat and sun get to me more than anything else. My friends now make sure I have some shade.
    Should bring the old lad to Picton Airfield sept 20. We could have a few match races for fun. I also like his choice of colours.
    don

9. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Ron is such an intense competitor he ended up driving his altered off the end of the track into the sand pit in Grand Bend a few weeks ago. He kept his foot in it as long as he could be beat the other guy. Even had sand in his underwear!

loudbang likes this.
  10. he's a winner by doing what he likes a friend goes around helping everyone with their projects but i can't get him to work on his own and keeps saying he's too old.