Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 79 Granada rear end swap into a 51 shoebox ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Judas Grease, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Judas Grease

Judas Grease
    from Austin, Tx

I have searched this on here before I asked. It looks like a 50:50 split between yes and no. I obviously realize that it will require perch modifications and probably gonna have to play with pinion angles, but is there any for sure reason this rear end will not work on my 1951 shoebox ford? My car isn't in the weeds out back and I don't plan on it ever being. Is there anyone that has done this swap that can give me some advice/tutorials? The Granada I picked up is 57.5" wheel to wheel mounting surface. Flange to flange it is pretty damn close to my stocker. Perch to perch is the only hiccup I see and that's a very small fix. Anyone?

2. As long as it's the right width and it's strong enough to stand up to the HP you're going to put to it, I would think it would work just fine. Almost anything is going to require relocating the spring pads unless you're really lucky. What are the reasons the naysayers gave for saying not to do it?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  3. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't see any problem, other than the '51s 42" spring center-to-center v.s. 43" on the later '57-up rears. Pinion angle should be within about 1 degree, and can be shimmed if you keep and modify the stock pads.
    I have a '66 Mustang 8" that will go into my '51 if the stocker ever fails, and the spring pads look like they can be possibly be welded and redrilled to 43" without removal. Same may be true for your Granada.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I do believe the Granada rear end is a bit wider than the original in your '51. Given the relatively narrow wheel housing of Shoebox Fords, that may require careful attention to the wheel width and backspacing that will work in the space available. I think the original axle is about 56" +/- 1/2".

It "is said" that an 8" Maverick rear end is just right. I have a Maverick rear end on hand and will shortly (within a couple/few weeks) begin swapping that into a '50 Ford Coupe. Too bad I haven't already done it.....or you had already installed the Granada........we'd both be the wiser :D

Ray

5. Judas Grease

Judas Grease
    from Austin, Tx

Yeah I know the Mav is the easiest and a no brainier. That isn't an option any more these days. I can't find one and I have spent sometime looking. If I need to buy rear wheels with the correct offset than I guess I'll do that. It looks like it will be a close fit but it may just work the way it is. It seems like the maverick rear end is the holy grail of hot rodding.

6. They must all be up here. I was looking this winter and all I kept coming up with was Maverick rear ends. I wound up using a 66 mustang rear but I'm not sure of the exact width.

7. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My '51 rear measures 57 3/16" and the '66 8" Mustang is 57 1/4", flange to flange.

8. That 16th was close enough for my application

9. 41woodie

41woodie

Don't know if it's an option for you but if you can locate a Lincoln Versailles (Granada body) rearend you've hit the jackpot. They have factory rear disc brakes and I believe they are a 9" center section but with the same narrow axle measurement.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Good to know! Do you happen to know, for certain, if the '49 and '50 are the same width as '51?
    Logic would suggest they are, but we all know that isn't always the case.

Ray

11. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ray, I don't know for certain, but because the '49-'51 cars are basically the same, I would bet on it! :)

Hnstray likes this.
  12. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

I am in the finishing stages of installing a Maverick axle in my 53 sedan. My experiences may help you.

I was able to use the stock u-bolts and spring plates with no modifications.

The spring perches were too far apart and were too wide. I purchased new perches off of that auction site. The perches I bough, and that fit my stock springs, are described as: "Moser Eng 7200 Leaf Spring Perches Steel 2 1/4" Width Chevy-Type Pair". The hole in the center of these were drilled out before welding them on. I used the stock rubber pad on the springs that had a large diameter for the pad to locate on.

Somewhere in the early to mid 70s Ford changed the diameter of the ends of the axle where the drums and wheels locate. I have heard this feature called the "register". My Mav axles had a larger register than my stock wheels would fit over. I had the register turned down on both axles and purchased new 72 Maverick rear drums.

My Mav axle did not have a drain plug. I purchased a low profile drain plug & bung from Jegs, again off that auction site. The one I got fits very well and welded in nicely. It is described as: " Mittler Brothers 1000-320 1/2" Short Drain Bung & Plug".

Here are a few pictures of the stock axle and the modified Maverick axle.
    Greasy stocker:
    [​IMG]

Assembled Mav:
    [​IMG]

Modifications to the Mav housing, new perches with drilled out holes, added drain plug. You can see the u-bolts and spring plates in the background:
    [​IMG]

Axle end turned down to fit 72 Mav drum ID (and therefore fit stock wheel):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    Hnstray likes this.
  13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

used a Chevy S10 in a '51 - good fit.

14. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These were also available on '76-'78 Monarchs and Granadas with the 4 wheel disc brake option. They all had 9" rears, Bendix Hydroboost and K/H discs. ( I had a loaded '78 Granada with a 250" 6, and with 4-wheel discs.)
    The problems are rear caliper and rotor replacement costs. The calipers have integral parking and the rotors are directional, can be hard to find as well as expensive. Just something to keep in mind when buying one of these rears.

Hnstray likes this.
  15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

38 Coupe.........Thank you for the great info and pics! :)

Ray

16. I used a maverick axle under my 49. At first I tried mounting it with the maverick pads. My spring bushings were so worn out I was able to lean the springs over to fit the wider spring pads and was able to mount it up "as-is"...well, I wore out my expensive offset U-joint in about 200 miles and the car had a vibration. I took it back out and removed the maverick spring pads, welded on a pair from our local trailer supply [about 6 bucks] and bought a set of long U-bolts and a pair of lowering blocks, replaced the spring-eye bushings...assembled it, setting the pinion angle and centering the axle so I had the same tire-to-fender gap on both sides. It was perfect and never wore out another U-joint. There is very little room under a stock shubox ford so wheel choice is critical on these cars, especially if you have a different width axle under there and lower the car. rockybox2.jpg
    I was able us use 7 inch wide, zero offset wheels with 205 tires and everything was very close!

Phillips and Hnstray like this.
  17. Judas Grease

Judas Grease
    from Austin, Tx

Awesome info everyone. The HAMB is hands down the best place to ask these type of questions. Other forums you get replies like "Not Sure, but here are 45 pictures of my car" haha thanks everyone. I'm gonna buy some perches and see what can be done. Sounds like a fun project to try at least. I'll create a build thread. If I am successful in doing this then it may prove helpful for some future shoeboxer.

18. 41woodie

41woodie

Agreed, the parts were very difficult to find 25 years ago and I'm sure things haven't improved. The integral E-brake parts were especially difficult to locate. BUT if this can be overcome they are great rear-ends for a car needing a narrow axle and are stout enough to handle some abuse

19. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two other possible concerns with the Versailles 9". I've read the housing bearing ends may have a unique bolt pattern, unlike drum back plates and later factory production or aftermarket disc brackets. Second, the park brake levers protruding from the calipers can contact the body on some vehicles during full jounce or hard cornering. I found this true on a friend's '36 coupe.

20. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER