Register now to get rid of these ads!

78 nova upper a arms problem please help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by calray, May 17, 2012.

1. calray

calray

i have a 78 nova front clip on a 49 chevy but cant aline it its stock but a arms are to far foward ...all shims out but still needs more any one have any ideal whats up dont want change it but what could be so far off every thing is good not wrecked please if u know any thing to help i dont want to cut and change angle to get it close

2. Sounds likebody didn't line it up properly before welding it on to your frame.

3. F&J

F&J

So it must have negative caster? If so, what does it show for degrees?

If it's not too far off, there are ways to fix it...but need to know how many degrees neg.

4. drdoom

drdoom
    from new jersey

when i welded the 79 subframe to my 53 f100 though every thing was perfect,but caster ened up -2 deg. with all the shims out, toe is fine camber is fine, i have no problems with high speed driving and it turns pretty tight at slow speed,been this way for 11 years, handles pretty dam good,but im also runing 70 series radial tires up front ,it will just be a little more sensative to the touch,but i can let go ove the wheel at 70 and she tracks straight

5. bava17

bava17

Cal,
    This might be way off and I might not be fully understanding your problem, but here goes a suggestion.
    I'm much more schooled in the rear-steer Nova's, but this might work for the front-steer ones as well.

On the rear-steer Nova's, the upper A-arms definatley are angled back towards the firewall.
    But if installed on the wrong side (the upper right arm on the left and upper left arm on the right), they will definately point forward instead of backwards.

Simply said, you might have them on the wrong sides.
    Hope this helps, probably not.
    Steve