Register now to get rid of these ads!

71-81 Camaro rear into '49-'54 Chevys using stock springs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Camel City Skull, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Just picked up a '78 camaro rear out of the junkyard today and I'm wanting the easiest installation to just get my 350/350TH swapped 1950 on the road for a while. Upgrades such as thicker leaf springs would be for further down the line.

After searching on here for an hour I've seen a few people say the camaro rear spring perches WILL work with the stock '49-'54 chevy leaf's and shocks? If so what additional parts will I need to bolt it all together? I should probably also mention I want to continue running my 3" lowering blocks.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

search here for thread: rearend widths

3. I didnt find anything that pertains to this specific question.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You may have to enlist a welder to pull this off. You will need spring perches that match the width of your existing rear springs. The Camaro spring perches are wider and will interfere with the u-bolts, even if they are at the correct spacing. Have the new perches welded on at the correct spacing, with the correct pinion angle, and you are set, for good.

5. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

the perches need to be re-drilled as the stock springs have the locator pin too far forward. then all you should need are new bottom plates and u-bolts.

It has been covered though - search here and over on ChevyTalk :)

Edit: you won't use the original ubolts for this swap.

6. Thanks Dave, ive been looking for that bottom plate, What is the official name for that? I'm not having any luck on summit

7. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

8. pottsie454

pottsie454

I have one in my 53. I used a four link setup from welders series. Great out fit. With that gen camaro rear you can use any center line wheel up to 10 inches wide.

9. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

10. Troostr

Troostr
    from Artesia NM

I put a 76 camaro rear in my 46 coupe, what I did was pull the leaf stack after measuring where the new center pin would need to be and re-drilled a new hole in the stack on the press, but I did have to buy spring perches as well. the camaro was a little off width. I built a bottom plate with shock mount to sort of copy the cpp or other rear shock kits out.
    My 52 5 window pu has a camaro rear also, the builder built a new spring stack centered for the the rear end. Good Luck!