Register now to get rid of these ads!

70c10 Brake woes!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Hot Rods & Customs' started by sixty3, May 15, 2024.

1. sixty3

sixty3
    from Erie, Pa.

I have a 1970 c10 that I have been struggling with the brakes for some time. The truck has been upgraded to front disc brakes by a po. I believed that the disc brake conversion was completed by using the 1972 c10 disc brake components. I have been attempting to change the master cylinder and have asked at a variety of parts suppliers for a 72 master cylinder for power disc brakes. The problem I am having is that the master cyl. I am replacing has a very shallow dimple for the brake booster push rod, all the parts suppliers have shown me have a deep push rod hole. I have learned that there were two boosters used on these trucks, one being a Bendix booster that uses a long push rod and the other a Delco Moraine that has a short or shallow pushrod. My booster is a Delco Moraine unit and the old master has a shallow dimple for the pushrod. Can anyone suggest a supplier that could provide me the proper part? I have been to all the chain stores and online also. I did purchase a master with a shallow dimple from Summit but I believe it to be faulty. Any ideas?

2. JohnLewis

JohnLewis

Take a look at a napa m2072, for a 73 c10. Should have the small dimple. Believe dimensions and threads are all the same as 71-72 but it should go down to a 1 inch bore possibly.

Last edited: May 15, 2024
  3. sixty3

sixty3
    from Erie, Pa.

Thank you, I am going to NAPA in the morning to check on one I had ordered. The salesman called today to tell me it was in but he didn't think it was going to work.

4. JohnLewis

JohnLewis

Hopefully it works for you. Should span 73-80s on the trucks, 70-later one some cars. But it's the 5.5ish rod compared to the 8-ish inch rod you're probably running into.

5. sixty3

sixty3
    from Erie, Pa.

I checked online and the photos look very promising. I have a more positive outlook than I have for a long time. Looking forward to a visit to NAPA in the morning.

6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Could you switch the pushrod?

7. Anderson

Anderson

8. sixty3

sixty3
    from Erie, Pa.

I suppose I could. The part suggested by JohnLewis appears to be the correct part and surprise it was on the shelf at the local NAPA.

9. sixty3

sixty3
    from Erie, Pa.

I have been told that some master cylinders come with these but I have not found any with the adapter in the box. Thanks for the tip, it is good to know these are available.

10. sixty3

sixty3
    from Erie, Pa.

A big tip of the hat to @JohnLewis, the master cylinder you suggested was a drop in. No modifications required. Thank you for the suggestion. Now I need to finish this thing up and get back on the road.

Anderson likes this.
  11. JohnLewis

JohnLewis

Happy it worked out for you. Look forward to some posts about the rest of your build.