Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 700R4 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bunky67, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Bunky67

Bunky67

I have a 87 S10 Blazer I bought put together. Has 350 engine and 700r4. My question is did all the 700r4 have the electrical connector on the side ?

Mine is not hooked up and wondering if I should put a manual lock up kit on the transmission ?
    And is there any other suggestions for using this stock transmission.

I have 3:73 gears so it's in 4 gear more then normal in my opinion.

I feel loosing horse power with this transmission as it is.

I don't want to put a bunch of money in this transmission as I would rather put the money in a turbo 350. For the strength and durability. Even though I would lose the over drive .

2. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Either run the manual lock-up switch, or put a "good" fluid cooler on it.
    Without the lock-up feature, the converter will slip as it does in the first three gears in fourth also. Problem is, the fluid is not moving thru the trans. fast enough to stay cool with the pump running at such a slow speed. More heat will build because the fluid is moving slower, going thru the cooler slower.
    While this is not particularly a bad thing, the extra heat is not a good thing. So...the high quality cooler is in order, or the switch is in order...or both..!

Mike

rockable likes this.
  3. Bunky67

Bunky67

Mike
    Thanks for the reply.

So do I want to keep it locked all the time to prevent slippage?

4. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Not trying to be a horse's ass but the question is probably more appropriate on an S10 site.
    Pete

JFK Killer and Truckdoctor Andy like this.

5. Bunky67

Bunky67

Ya I thought of that but a lot of street rodders use the transmission in more of a high performance style that would deal with this more transmission more so the person with a stock S10 that uses the transmission with the computer hooked up in a stock application.

6. john walker

john walker

Wire up a toggle switch for overdrive. Cheap and easy. Just have to remember to use it appropriately.

7. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

He meant it is a '37 retrofitting a 700R4 from a Blazer. Damn autocorrect!!!!

gimpyshotrods and a boner like this.
  8. Bunky67

Bunky67

Thanks for all the suggestions after doing some more research I found out my transmission has the pressure port on the outside by the servo so I will just get a kit to wire a pressure sensor in the side and and be good to go no vacuum or brake switch needed.

9. Not sure what that's gonna do ,without knowing what's going on inside the pan.

gimpyshotrods and squirrel like this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

what he means is that they wired them inside in a bunch of different ways...you need to open it up and look at what pressure switches it has, how they are wired, how the solenoid is wired, etc.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  11. Bunky67

Bunky67

Well with this kit I didn't think I needed to open the pan I will have to call and confirm this information.

12. You need to open the pan and clean it out and throw the filter away anyway. While you're at it..Throw away the solenoid too and get a new one .Then post a pic inside ,and we'll help you wire it.
    Either that or you could go back to the site where they're drilling holes in the servo cover and wiring them on the outside...Probably the best idea, seeing your vehicle is o/t here anyway.;)