Register now to get rid of these ads!

700r4 TV cable help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bpc, Aug 10, 2011.

1. bpc

bpc

Need some help on how you can run the tv cable. Heres my set-up: I have a 292 with a 700r4 trans stock 1 barrel carb mounted on a stock intake. in a 49 chevy convertible. Hopefully someone has run this set-up before even more hopefully they have some pics of the brackets involved lol. Any input would be appreciated

2. badsix

badsix
    from oregon

theres a certian distance from the center of the throttle shaft to where your tv cable connects. it has to pull the cable out a certian amount from idle to full open. if you don't get this right you can screw up your trans.

3. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I have always used "pre engineered" brackets/cams.

I don't know if this is a good option for you, but the TV cable can be properly SET using a pressure gauge.

There is some geometry involved in the setup that is required to pull the cable at the right rate all the way from throttle closed to throttle open.

I think I could do this on my own, but I don't think I can write down just how I would do it.

As noted above, an improperly SET cable can burn up a 700 R4 "right now"..

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Try taking some measurements from a stock GM setup and work from there.
    Folks also say check out the Bowtie website which is a big read and may help you get your head around it.

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  6. big daddy Raleigh

big daddy Raleigh
    from Denver CO

I installed my 700r4 behind a poncho 400 about 10yrs ago, so parts availability has greatly improved since! I used the stock gm cable and the original Pontiac bracket at the carb (w/some mods) to get it started. I measured the overall travel of the cable from idle to wide open. Then took that measurement and figured out that same travel of the carb throttle plate linkage. Then fabed up some brackets so that both travels were equal and fine tuned it with the cable adjustments. Still works great and shifts proper! You can make it work!

7. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I have a 700R4 behind a sbc in my coupe. I bought the throttle adapter for the Edelbrock 1406 from Bowtie Overdrives and the geometry works fine. I could measure the distance the cable is pulled from idle to full throttle if you want. This is the key to setting up the tranny. You will need to adapt a stock bracket to whatever you fab to hold the carb end of the TV cable. PM me if you want a measurement. John

8. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

My transmission guy said it need to pull about 1 1/8" from idle to full throttle.
    Cable needs to be tight at full throttle and have a small amount of pressure on it at idle.

9. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

BTO throttle adapters are over designed and expensive. Summit racing sells simple and correct adapters for both Holley and Edelbrock carbs. I have all three of these.

10. chubbie

chubbie

^^^^^^^^^

11. Special Ed

Special Ed

Bowtie overdrives unit may be "over designed" because they have been doing NOTHING but these set-ups for decades. There is no one on the planet who knows more about them than Bowtie. :cool:

12. Tripple G

Tripple G

I just recently went through this with my '32 Ford 5 Window Coupe. Geometry on the throttle shaft/positioning is critical. Google 700R4 Throttle Geometry for drawings. They will show you the position/degree of angle for the throttle cable & TV (Kickdown) cable. Then, like mentioned above, the TV cable needs to be drawn all the way out at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) and when closed, you want the cable to travel approx. 1-1/8" to 1-3/8" overall (for lack of a better term...runout) Mine is set at 1-1/4" and seems to work just fine. 1-1/4" is what Gearstar recommended. It took awhile to get this all figured out, but once there, seemed to make all the sense in the world. The geometry seems to be the key. Hope this helps.

13. Try page 13 of the attached PDF, it has the arc angles and dimensions required.
    <fieldset class="fieldset"><legend>Attached Files</legend> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="3"> <tbody><tr> <td>[​IMG]</td> <td>9500260-12.pdf
    </td></tr></tbody></table></fieldset>

14. Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  15. jrinaman

jrinaman

if you still need measurements, let me know. i recently installed a 700r4 behind a 250 and saved all the measurements. an 1/8" off makes a difference.

16. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Its great that you have all three. And the ones you have work on a one barrel carb on a 292 ? And you are going to offer to help the guy by giving him a measurement so he can make what he needs? That would be a big help .

17. chopped

chopped

Check the purple sage link before you do anything. I used it on my 250 with a 700r4 with no problems after 1000's of miles.

18. jrinaman

jrinaman

the 4 barrel carbs rotate farther than the monojet. if i remember correctly, 78 degrees on q-jet and 60 degrees on 1-barrel. this is farther complicated since the linkage to side of intake isnt 1:1. since the amount of rotation from idle to w.o.t. is decreased, distance from center needs increased. it is on a radius so you can not simply diveded by 60 and multiply by 78 (as i did on first attempt) there is a lot of math work to get it right, which i did, however, after hours of calculating and equal hours of surfing the net for the measurements or bracket. i simply measured the total travel on a factory carb, set up temp. brackets on my spare motor and used my calculated measurement. it was dead on so i know its right. once i find the notes, i will post the measurement from center out and total travel i used.

19. Most Pro Trans guys set them up using a pressure gauge installed on the trans. Something you can consider after following the information already provided. Do your research on the subject especially if its a performance trans. A 700R will eat itself within only a few miles, due to inadequate line pressure with the cable being incorrectly installed or incorrectly adjusted. TR

20. Loppy

Loppy

Ok guys, I've a 230 in my '64 C-10. I want to put a 700R4 in it to ease the pain of highway driving. I just got off the phone with Bowtie Overdrives. They don't have a bracket for the stock one barrel set-up, but say there has been a lot of interest for this issue. I encouraged them to manufacture a bolt-on kit because there's a good market for it. We'll see if they do. GREAT NEWS though! They offer a custom service to make it all work properly. All you have to do is mail them the manifold and carb, and they would do the rest. Granted you have to absorb the shipping cost, but if you weigh the cost of other solutions, it's an effective financial option. Plus, you retain the original look, minus the braket and TV cable of corse. I'm going that way when I'm ready. If someone here on the HAMB is close to them, strike up a conversation with them, volunteer your time and ride for them to R&D the parts and then we can all benefit from a bolt-on kit. Ask for a free kit in return for your efforts, seems fair. I'd do it, but I'm across the country.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  21. i have been happy with the BTO stuff when i added the 700r4 to my vette

22. Loppy

Loppy

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  23. RatPin

RatPin

TCI should have everything you might need with clear instructions. I used an edelbrock vortec intake bracket for my where the cables mount, with a TCI TV cable and TCI corrector bracket on the carb linkage. Works good.

24. Loppy

Loppy

RatPin, do you have a one barrel carb? Post up a pic. Let's see it.

25. Loppy

Loppy

Can you do a write up on your set up. Would love to read and see some pics of the throttle and TV cables. Getting ready to do the same on my ride. Thanks.

26. If you need any pics let me know! I did mine on my 250 and been running strong for 4 years now with many miles!

27. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Thanks for the Info guys

28. mjminton

mjminton

Good info guys. I am building a 27 roadster, whith a SBC, and a 700R4, with a 3 deuce 97 setup. And was needing to know the correct TV setup. The following site has really good procedures. I will have to end up making my own bracket though.

http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

29. mj40's

mj40's

I used the BTO system and it came with a cable bracket, carb bracket, kick down cable to trany and a replacement spring I had to install in the trany. Quality kit for the money.

30. Loppy

Loppy

Yes! Post some here!