Register now to get rid of these ads!

700r4 Transmission help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twistedridez, Nov 1, 2013.

1. twistedridez

twistedridez

Working on my coupe, I have a 700r4 I'm gonna use, but I'm unsure about the lockup wiring. Is there a way to tell if a converter is a lock up by looking at it? what happens if I don't hook it up? Or just wire a switch in and see what happens? :confused:

2. 1. yes, double female splines inside of hub, a regular converter will not fit...
    2. burn up fourth gear in most cases
    3. you have to run the power through the brake switch or it won't unlock

3. There are a few ways to go about it. Toggle switch, lock up kit, non lock up converter.
    If you don't hook up the lock up the torque converter will over heat, maybe a day or two, maybe a year or two, but it will.
    Also need to find out if it's a one wire or a two wire.

4. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Search 700 R4 lockup here and you'll find a bunch.

5. Drive Em

Drive Em

There is a kit available from several tranny vendors that allows lockup using line pressure via a valve in the valve body, no wiring needed at all. I have installed a couple of them and they work great.

6. Louie T

Louie T
    from California

Bowtie Overdrives...I need say no more.

7. cryobug

cryobug

Run a hot wire to the lockup solenoid located in the front of the transmission and then run the other solenoid wire to the pressure switch in the fourth gear spool valve in the valve body. When it goes into fourth it will make ground for the solenoid and immediately lock up the converter. I can't begin to tell you how many I have done this way without any issues.

8. Great info! got a wiring diagram?:D

9. twistedridez

twistedridez

Thanks for the info, going to try what cryobug said. Just need to find more info, I'm told there are early and late 700r4 with different pressure switches...

10. twistedridez

twistedridez

11. mtrmike

mtrmike

There were so many different improvements to the the 700R4 (4L60) in reference to lock-up pressure switches and solenoids. You need to specify which model you have. There are 2 wire and 1 wire pressure switches and solenoids in a lot of configurations.

12. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

I have owned and operated a transmission shop for 31 years and the best lockup control for 2004Rs and 700R4s to date is from Bowler transmissions. Very simple one wire hookup along with a new brake switch. You do have to replace the solenoid and pressure switch in the trans, which is included. Their system applies lockup 8 seconds after 4th gear. If you "hot wire the trans through the 4th gear pressure switch", which will work, will result in lockup right on top of the 4th gear shift (double shift, which does not feel good in the seat of the pants).
    Bill

13. txturbo

txturbo

Ive also done 3 cars this way. Works great. I am going to add a vacuum switch to my Impala though so it will unlock when going uphill.