Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 700R4 trans speedo leak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wally abe, Mar 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. wally abe

wally abe

when pulling the housing for the speedo cable, should there be excessive oil spilling out
    or is the sign of overfill????? thanks for the input

2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When the engine isn't running, fluid will drain back to the pan from the torque converter and cause the fluid level in the transmission to be higher than normal. That is why you always check the transmission fluid level with the engine running and the pump filling the torque converter. At that time, fluid should be about level full in the pan.

3. sdluck

sdluck

I believe that is a sign that the seal is bad or missing.You should be able to take the speedo cable off with no leakage

4. sdluck

sdluck

5. squirrel

squirrel

did you jack up the car from the front, or the back, to do this work?

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2019-3-11_20-3-0.png
    Does it leak from the O-rings at either speedometer drive area or where the extension housing bolts to main case or out of the extension housing after the drive is removed? Car needs to be flat as per what Squirrel indicated. If front is in air gravity will cause the fluid to run to the rear of the transmission.
    Check the dipstick level with the car level and engine running. Run it through all the gears and then lock transmission in park and make sure the parking brake is on when you check the fluid level. There are anti-drain (Anti-bleed) back lock up solenoids available if needed, good if the cars sits around for periods of time

7. old chevy luver

old chevy luver
    from sd

If it's a little oil (teaspoon or so) when unscrew the speedo cable housing, nothing to worry about. The driven gear is plastic with spiral grooves cut in it along the shaft and some oil can get past the seal. Usually the factory speedo cable has a thin fiber washer inside the cable end nut so it doesn't drip on garage floor. If tranny fluid level is good, and u want check out the gear. Pull the bolt for speedo driven gear housing retainer. pull housing and gear out. Most of the time the plastic gear is worn. Check how tight it fits in the housing . There is no clearance spec, but u can tell if it is excessive. If it fits loose also check the housing. I've seen housings that have worn egg shaped. Also the gear can get a groove cut in it where it runs on the seal. And the seal can go bad. If little seal in the housing is hard and dried up I would get a inner housing seal,outer Oring and a new driven gear. The gear is color coded. If the new gear is loose in old housing,replace the housing.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

olscrounger likes this.
  8. I had to replace that small seal shown in photo above.

Phil