Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 700r4 Shift Arm Position

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Unclebrad, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Unclebrad

Unclebrad

I got the transmission in, and am trying to hook up the Limeworks detent kit.
    I have run into a couple issues, but the one that is bugging me most is that the arm that they gave me to fit onto the post (or shaft) coming out of the transmission doesn't seem right to me.
    When it is on there, the rod that connects to it is at a very hard angle when the shifter is in low gear, making it very hard to pull the arm up to the next gear. (Kind of pulling against itself.)
    Even though it could conceivably be put on two ways because it has two flat sides rather than splines, it has a slight bend which makes it obvious which way it is meant to go on, and when I try reversing the position, it ends up being at a hard angle in Park.
    I've talked to David at Limeworks, and he doesn't understand why it would be like this. That arm is the only one he makes for a 700r4.
    I have two guesses, but imagine that there could be other possibilities.
    1- I had the trans built up for the horsepower of the 409. Could that "post/shaft" have been randomly placed in this position on the inside during the build?
    2- Are there variations of the 700r4 transmission case, and this is the way that shaft is supposed to be on this variation is made?
    I can probably make up a little plate to move the rod attachment point out, but would really like to know what's going on.
    Does anyone here know the answer?
    IMG_7204 lo.jpg

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA