Register now to get rid of these ads!

700r4 into 54 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtySanchez, Sep 16, 2006.

1. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

What's needed to put a 700r4 into my 54 two door hard top? It originally had a three speed. It's Camaro clipped now and I plan on installing a 350/700r4 combo. Minor or major mods. necessary? Prefabed crossmembers that may be inexpensive? Where to find, if so? What to be aware of? Can I use the crossmember from the donor?-Thanks

2. I've never done this swap but here's my take on it - If the 350/700R4 is what you want to run, then make it work. I know that sounds flip, but here's the deal. Your 350 should go in alright with the Camaro clip but the floor may need to be cut to fit the trans, I dunno but I personallywould plan on floor mods but hopefully you'll dodge that bullet. I'd hang onto the stock cross member, you may be able to modify it to make it work more easily that you can fab one up; then again, fabbing one may be easily in the long run. I doubt there are pre-fabbed crossmemembers available for your combination.

Anything can be made to fit, but it's gonna take time and patience; throw in some skill as well. If you think you can tackle it, take it slow and ask for help from some pals that have done this stuff before. You'll get there if you use your head and think the situation through.

Hope this helps.

3. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

Yeah, was thinking of the slow aproach. Tagging all lines and electrical connections as I go. Taking the a/c system from the donor too. What the hell. Was told to take the under dash a/c system as well. Not looking forward to spending days under the 54 doing the mods for the trans., and was hoping for a simpler solution, but willing to tackle it. Hopefully someone will know of a cheaper/easier route. I want this thing on the road! Brakes lines, fuel lines, engine/trans. install, and a column, then she's ready.(that's all)lol

Anyone recommend any particular column? I looked at the early 80's column from the donor Monte Carlo, but that lame ass turn signal/cruise lever and the column shifter is killing that thought. I know it's a modern combo I'm installing, but I plan on dressing it nostalgic and would like most anything visable to be as well. Please give the newbie some pointers.

4. demonspeed

demonspeed

how did you do the camaro clip? was it difficult? I have a 54 four door and Im planning on putting a 350 with a 4spd in it but im still trying to figure out how to go about it.

5. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

You will need a new flywheel with the 700r4 convertors bolt pattern. an 84 camaro one from auto zone will work as long as your motor is internaly balanced . Then the 700's mount is further back then the 350. So you will need to move your cross member back. And you will all so either need to use a q-jet from a car that came with a 700. or buy the tv cable adapter from tci. i just went thru all this with my 51 ford.

6. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

Cut it about mid-way through the kick down of the Camaro, mated it to the original frame as it kicks down almost directly below the firewall. You can play with the frame kick downs to get your desired ride height. Once it was butted, I plated mine on the inside of the rails for insurance. If I was to do it again I'd have sleeved it on the inside of the rails, then drilled holes into the original rails then filled the holes with a good weld. This would have looked completely factory and no gusseting showing. The frame widths matched up very well. Another concern to watch out for is the track width. Mine seems a little wide. I'm now looking for different offset wheels or possibly narrower arms. That's what I get for taking wrecking yard advice and being too lazy to do the measure three times, cut once theory..........

7. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

I'm taking the entire motor/trans. from a early 80's Monte Carlo, so the carb. and flywheel won't be of issue it already runs together. It's time to start thinking ahead and fabricating or doing whatever to get the trans in. The motor is going to drop right in because of the Camaro clip, but the car has the original three speed cross member for the trans. Was it much work modifying you cross member? Moving it back doesn't seem too much work. How much did you have to move yours?

8. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

i didnt move mine at all. i placed my motor forward so i just had to make a small tab mount to drop the trans down a bit. and i welded that to the stock cross member

9. RatBone

RatBone

I just put a 350 and 700r4 in my friends 51 and all I had to do was redrill the stock crossmember. The 700r4 is huge though and I had to cut a large part of the floor and even move the gas pedal. Its a hot running trans too so make sure you insulate real good. My friends has the stock frame though and probably sits higher than yours.

[​IMG]

10. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

Yeah, mines bagged and lays frame. Here's some pics of the clip and whole car. That's bitchen that it's only a matter of drilling. I don't mind having to redo the tunnel, it was about to go under the knife AFTER the swap. The driveshaft was already gonna hit. Now I guess it's a whole new tunnel....

Attached Files:

11. 65GTO421

65GTO421
    from CT

Unless you already have the 700 I would consider a 2004r instead. It is the same length as a TH350 and PG which will make the install easier. Also it was a stronger design with a wider gear ratio, and it uses a universial bolt pattern bellhousing.