Register now to get rid of these ads!

700R4 in a A.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rpkiwi, Nov 30, 2011.

1. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Have presently got a 700 in the 29 and was wondering if it is normal for it to be such a harsh shift between 1st and 2nd.It actually tweaks the rear tires and gets a little annoying after a while.I am figuring it has a lot to do with the car being only 2600# and that trans was originally for heavier vehicles.Are there ways to mellow it out or would it have to be a tranny change. Thanks Roger

2. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

It's probably in your TV cable adjustment. There are several ways it could be tuned out of it, but I would start with the TV cable.

There's always a risk of toasting the tranny if the TV cable is too loose, but it sounds like you are too tight. Try backing off the cable 1/16" at a time to see if it softens up. If you find a better place, just verify that you are getting near full extension at wide open throttle. You may still have a problem if the stroke of your throttle lever at the TV cable is not matched to the required stroke of the 700r4. You can google up the dimensions if in doubt.

3. Grumbler

Grumbler

Lenghten the tv cable a couple of serrations. It doesn't take much

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a common problem. So common, there are kits out there to correct it, that fit common carburetors. If you have a common one, and you don't have a correction kit, check your geometry.
    [​IMG]

5. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Thanks for the input,I presently cannot do any adjustments as the tranny is out while I do a rebuild on the car.Have been considering a switch to a 350 because of the neck snapping change but may just leave it and play with that TV cable.Anything worth doing while the tranny is out to make it a better friendly driver.Thanks Roger