Register now to get rid of these ads!

700R4 for a Big block shops recommedations where to buy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatoz, Aug 7, 2012.

1. I guess it's always up to us 'ol guys huh? :D

2. myktrans

myktrans

how heavy is the car it's going in? what rearend gear are you going to run and how tall of a tire? i build these things all day everyday. i'm not trying to sell you one of my units but i will help you spend money in the right places.

the 700r4 can be built pretty strong without buying a lot of parts that are just a waste of money.

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Because the 700's got really crappy gear ratios...or didn't you read that....!
    Plus the horsepower drag, or did you miss THAT too...!?

Funny...I attend several NHRA races, I've not once seen T700-R4's in competition, but I HAVE seen many T-200's in NHRA competition..
    Wonder why that is ?

Mike

4. flatoz

flatoz

And to all the 200 people, maybe if you read my original post in its entirety and looked at my location you might understand why.

Also I'm not 'NHRA" racing this car at all, so what they do there means nothing to me.

I appreciate your input, but I stated I knew of the gear issues, and can the trans really be that bad if GM decided to keep it in production for the years they have?

It comes down to what suits the application and individual. Either trans can be built to take the HP and TQ I know that, but the 200 won't do in this application, so to all those who want to tell me 'go the 200' I'm not listening and please read my original post, the reason's I'm not listening are there.

I didn't post this to debate the pro's and con's of the 200 vs 700, thats been done to death and like most things there are fevered supporters in both camps.

My aim/goal is basically an OD trans that will take a mild street build Oldsmobile 455 with roughly 350-400HP and 500ft lb TQ. the cam is a roller and will be done at 4k, this is a cruiser motor, no drag racing car and no stop light hero.

If I was building a small block that would be a different situation, plenty of local builders. But not people who have had experience with big blocks.

I appreciate everyone's input, but keeping it on topic would be great.:rolleyes:

5. flatoz

flatoz

55 olds guessing north of 4000lbs, 3.68 rear 27" tyre.

shoot me a pm with your thoughts and $$ for a built one , I'm happy to listen.

thanks

6. To "flatoz", I hear what you're sayin'!

However to "Mike VV", you appearently have not been to too many races.

End of the useless debate, back to the topic of this thread.

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

A stock 1988 and up 700r4 in good shape should work OK. If you don't run a lockup converter keep the hiway rpm above 2000 If your close to stall theres slipage slipage causes heat = less trans life.

8. Crab

Crab
    from Tulsa, OK

I have a Bowtie Overdrives Level 3 700R4 with a 3,000 stall lock up converter behind a .030 over 454 in a 4,000 lb 1966 Impala. I have always been able to get a hold of a live person when I needed advice or help. I am running 3:73 gears in a 12 bolt rear end.
    I have had good luck so far. I am thinking about replacing the TH 350 in my 1969 Camaro with one in the future.

CRAB

9. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

Try Rossler Transmission in Girard Ohio