Register now to get rid of these ads!

700 R4 in a 61 Chevy wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dustyoldbodyman, May 16, 2013.

1. I cannot believe there is not 40 threads on this already - I have been searching. My 61 Chevy Brookwood is in the garage and getting the engine and trans from the 87 Suburban I parted out a few years back. All I want to know before I swing this thing into the engine bay is if the trans will crash into anything. I am using stock V-8 engine mounts and location. I have no problem making a crossmember - in fact I will modify the one I fabbed a while back for another plan I had for the car years ago. Any way this is what I want to know:

1. Does the tunnel or body/floor pan need to be modified? if so where?

2. Does the X frame need to be modified? If so Where?

thanks!

Pics soon....

2. 700R4 is a fairly long trains, longer than a TH350 or TH400. There is a chance it won't clear, I had to cut out a lot of crossmember in my '50 Chevy. Best measure it out if possible.

3. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clears with no problems at all. Make a new member, mount further back, shorten your driveshaft, and drive the wheels off of it.

4. Here are pics for your viewing enjoyment...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Thanks! I was wondering - seems like a lot of room down there being full size and all...

6. So I am going to assemble it and fab what is needed to be fabbed, work out the bugs... get the EFI working etc..
    It will be stock 87 Suburban running gear except headers. Not painting anything yet - assembling and working out the bugs. Will worry about cosmetics later (this is a hard new plan for me, but I get lost in detail land too easily and nothing ever gets done)
    I will post more and maybe make this a thread in the Build thread section if needed.

7. Don't forget to track down a speed sensor for the computer, there's one the guys converting Jaguar XJs to a 350 use that's not too bad price wise. Otherwise it will run rich constantly and the gas milage will be in the dumper.

8. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

TBI ..can't more simple than that ...O/T

9. Thanks - this one has a cable drive mech on it back at the speedo gear. I will get more pics when I get home. ECM may just regulate TBI and such, I cannot recall if I has a speed sensor... Great catch anyway - for sure I will look into it now. any missing sensor inputs are a problem... especially a speed sensor

10. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

1987 trucks I believe had the VSS was on the back of the speedometer head. If that is no longer in use you will need to setup a VSS another way, normally off the trans.

I cant see the pics at work, is the 700r4 long enough to lose the two piece driveshaft and go with a one piece? I plan on putting a 4L60E in my 61 bubbletop if the T56 doesnt fit.

11. Did you do the power steering conversion? What was involved as I have only seen 605 boxes used not the 800.

12. 55 dude - Yes. I will get better pics of that. Meanwhile, I did some house cleaning on Photobucket and busted the link to the pics - try this again..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Car Shop in Orange,Ca. sells the crossmember you need. Can fix you up with most of your Impala,etc. needs.