Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 70 nova leaf springs in a tri five chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gus68, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Hey guys. I did some searching and couldn't really come up with anything. But I have a 57 chevy that needs new leaf springs. Recently I helped a friend replace the rear springs in his nova drag car. The springs were new stock replacement multi leafs just a few years ago. He replaced them for caltrac split monos. So I was wondering if I could make these work. I realise the old chevys are 2 inch and the nova are 2.5. But if I make mounts and hangers is there any reason this wouldn't work?

2. glrbird

glrbird

A spring is a spring. It doesn’t know what car it’s under. If the spring rate is close to stock, why not.

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Might have to cut the perches off the axle and weld on some new ones for that fatter spring. I would check the weight difference as well between those cars, I would guess that 57 weighs a bit more than the Nova.

4. Just part of hot rodding, you make it fit. HRP

5. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As long as you are making new brackets, you can move the springs inboard the frame rails and run a wider tire.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    ffr1222k likes this.
  6. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

A lot of work just to use a free spring when direct replacement springs are easy to get. Other than free springs what would you gain?

SPark

scotty t and Just Gary like this.
  7. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Well plan is also a 9 inch and cut wheel wells for slicks. Gasser style car

8. I'm guessing Nova rear springs are longer than 55's...mite be an issue.

9. I'd be shocked if correct bolt-in springs are very expensive for these cars.

scotty t likes this.
  10. AND you can get what you want. It seems like a lot of work to do otherwise.

scotty t likes this.
  11. If you would drive down to the southern tip of lake michigan I'll make you a deal on a "gasser kit" leaf springs made for a gasser type build that lift the car about 3.5" over stock and Moog coils that lift the front plus ball joint spacers and shock extenders. All new parts that were installed but never made it out of the garage.