Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 7 inch Slick Options - 15"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Countn'Carbs, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

I'm looking for some 7 inch (preferable pie crust) slicks and was wondering what rock I may have left unturned. These would not be for a everyday tire but hamb drags and some local tracks around Colorado. What I have so far is:

1. Hurst Tire - They have what I'm after but the phone number listed on their web-site says no longer exists when you call it. I know there's been several threads on here about them being out of business, no just moving, etc but bottom line not able to contact them that I'm aware of.

29390408.jpg

2. Towel City - The narrowest they make is an 8 inch and I don't need that big.

3. Radir - Nice tires and not recaps which is a plus but the 7 inchers have that checkered flag pattern. I called them to see if I can get a set without but no luck. I asked how deep they are thinking maybe a couple of burnouts and they'd be gone but they're pretty deep - just not my style with the checkered flags.

4. M&H RaceMaster thru Coker - A true slick - no pie crust but they do "have them in my size."

" mh-vintageslick-775-800-15_2.jpg

Right now the M&H's are the direction I'm leaning but does anybody have any other ideas??

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  2. 54sled

54sled

Pretty slim options on the narrow slicks,had the 8.20-15 radirs,a bit wide though,would like a set too in white wall.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Countn'Carbs likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

I got the 7" M&H slicks for my car...it needs all the traction it can get (blown 427) but I wanted to keep them skinny and sort of old looking. They work good.

Seems the pie crust type slicks are mostly recap radials? heavy, hard, stiff, not very good for traction, but they look neat.

Countn'Carbs likes this.
  4. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Yeah.... other than the Radir's I believe all the other pie crusts are recap radials.

Good to know about the M&H's and while I don't have a lot of power, it is spinning out of the hole with the 8.90-15's that are on it.

I've tried several different approaches - no burnout, wet burnout, dry burnout, 20psi, etc... and it still spins so thinking a skinny slick might help.

5. squirrel

squirrel

if you do run these tires, be sure to put enough air in them. I started out at 12, car went everywhere...I'm running 18 in them now, they work good.

Countn'Carbs likes this.
  6. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Any info on Hurst? I've been gone for a while and need some shoes to get my project rolling!!! If they are out of business who got the molds? I cant see the molds and equipment getting scrapped so something has to be brewing.

7. Muttley

Muttley

What will they be going on? I have a set of the Radir slicks with the checkered flag pattern on my Comet. At first I wasn't a big fan of the tread but on a full fender car they look pretty good.

[​IMG]

Countn'Carbs and chevy57dude like this.
  8. Muttley - Those tires look good. The sidewall is perfect, guess you painted the letters? Nice touch! Only brand new tires for this dude.

9. Muttley

Muttley

Thanks. Yes I painted the letters. New, not re-caps were also a HUGE selling point for me, I've seen first hand what a re-capped tire will do to quarter panel if/when it comes apart. Countn'Carbs, if you reconsider and would like more/better photos of my tires let me know.

10. I believe you can also buy the M&H slicks directly from M&H. They have some good choices in 14" and 15" sizes.

Countn'Carbs likes this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

I got the M&H slicks thru Summit, they were pretty quick and shipping was free or cheap.

Countn'Carbs likes this.
  12. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

13. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Those do look good Muttley. These will be going on a 31 roadster with no fenders.
    Just not sure how I'd like them on a fenderless car. Any idea if you think the flags might be gone after a few burnouts or are they pretty deep?

14. Muttley

Muttley

No way you are going to burn those off, the flag pattern is pretty deep, I've put a lot of miles on mine and they still look brand new. They are good looking tires but I agree, they probably wouldn't be something I'd run on a fenderless car either.

15. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

No updates with Hurst that I'm aware of. I appreciate all the input guys and I'm probably going to go with the M&H's, Hell if Jim (squirell) is using them behind a blown 427 with good results, that's more than anything I'll throw at them.

FWIW....Towell City said they are getting more and more requests for a 7" pie crust slick but haven't gone there yet. Not sure if that was just to appease me but might be one to keep an eye on.

16. deto

deto

@squirrel,

Did you run these when driving track to track for drag week? I think I want to run them on my Chevy project. It will see less than 5k miles a year, mostly terrorizing back roads around town. Just wanted to know how well they hold up on the street.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  17. Plootz

Plootz

Yes Hurst Tire is out of business. The founder passed away and son couldn't handle the load.
    I am from Oregon City where they were based.

18. squirrel

squirrel

Never on the street...only at the dragstrip. I have over 30 passes on them, mostly in the tens, they're holding up well. But no street miles. I run Coker L78-15 tires on the street, they actually hook ok compared to most radial tires (but not as good as drag radials).

19. RmK57

RmK57

I don't think the M&H slicks are DOT approved if that makes any difference to you.

20. squirrel

squirrel

Nope, they are not DOT. the sidewalls are rather flexible too...that's the main reason I don't drive them on the street.

21. deto

deto

Any pics of your nova with the l78-15s mounted?

@squirrel

22. squirrel

squirrel

[​IMG]

here's one. The wheels are stock 55 chevy, only 5" wide. The slicks are on 7" wheels. The offsets are different.

[​IMG]

Countn'Carbs likes this.
  23. deto

deto

@bobss396 it would seem that way

@squirrel Thanks!

24. Jim, do the M & H slicks need tubes in them? I planned on using my stock reversed station wagon wheels and tubes are a PITA when you mount tires from the non-valve side of the wheel. Thanks.

25. squirrel

squirrel

no tubes in mine, they hold air just fine without them. M&H has a faq on the tires, it's interesting and answers questions like that.

http://www.mandhdragtires.com/faq

btw if you can weld something so it won't leak, you can fix those wheels :)

26. deto

deto

Hey squirrel, I'm bringing this back up. How much sidewall "balloon" do you have with the L78s on the 55 chevy wheels if you measure from the lip of the wheel to the outer most edge of the sidewall?

I'm figuring out my wheel/tire combo and I really like the look you have.

27. squirrel

squirrel

1-3/8" balloon.

28. I'm looking at the M&H MVD-007 (9.00-15) tread width 6.8" and MVD-006 (800/850-14) tread width 7". I have 235/75-15 tires on the rear and they were a tight fit under the wells. I'll measure those up before buying anything. I have the stock reversed 14" (7" wide) wheels my Ford came with. With the 235/75 tires I have no wheel lip of spring interference.

29. squirrel

squirrel

the section width of those 007 slicks, on 7" wheels, is a tad over 10". that's almost an inch wider than a 235 radial, isn't it?