Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 7/16 lug studs to 1/2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrodjohn71, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Hotrodjohn71

Hotrodjohn71

My car has 7/16" lug studs and I'm running steel Crager smoothie wheels which are basicly chrome plated steel wheels. The lug nuts are your standard steel acorn style.
    If I wanted to go to 1/2" lug bolts with their corresponding acorn lug nuts, should there be any fitment issues with the larger lug nuts and the steel wheels? Thank you

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

why would you do that?

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take a wheel off and See if a 1/2” fine thread cap screw will go thru the hole. If it does have a 13/16” lug nut and see how the taper on the wheel and lug nut looks.
    As our racing organization wants 1/2” studs minimum I have done that a couple of times. I get the studs from the Dorman catalog. They have one that’s it serrations are slightly larger than the 1/2” threads. I drill out the old stud holes to 1/2” and slightly taper the serration and pull them in with never seize and a ball bearing with a washer on top an an upside down lug nut or a U bolt for a leaf spring nut since they are at least are about 1” thick. I don’t have a press. Good luck

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I don't see the advantage either of switching to 1/2" studs unless your throwing pretty snotty hp to rear wheels. But if you do, ream the wheel holes out to fit your studs.

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

No problem what so ever. Ive seen many lug bolt patterns offered, but have never been given the option of lug size dia choice in the catalog

6. As stated above, most racing organizations require a minimum of 1/2" studs. some require 5/8", top NASCAR series. All wheels should be able to accept the 1/2" stud and most manufacturers do not differentiate which size as the axle hub centers the wheel. As Jimmy six stated check the wheel stud for fitment on the wheel and the taper fits the particular wheel.

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  7. Dorman catalogue has a table in the back with all stud dimensions including thread length, serrated shoulder length and OD, and hole size needed for the shoulder.

8. Koz

Koz

My personal favorite for this, (very common), is Dorman 610-234. I ream the axle flange/hub to .6005 and they press in perfectly. This is a very common ream. I'm sure they would pull in as well using the nut and spacer technique. I believe these are the studs Jimmy Six is referring to.

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  9. Steel wheels generally speaking are universal when it comes to lug hole diameter. The nuts have a taper where they meet the wheel and the wheels are commonly not lug centric that center on the register either on the hub or axle. If the manufacturer punched the holes a little tight for a 1/2" lug stud you may have to take a drill and open them up a little bit.

Now this is just general information nothing that I have looked up on the web and simply based on experience.

10. Hotrodjohn71

Hotrodjohn71

Thank you fellas, much appreciated.

11. On shanked lug nuts, like for aluminum slots, the diameter of the shank is actually the same from 7/16 to 1/2.
    I put 1/2 inch studs in my 57 pickup but kept the 5x4 3/4 pattern, use the same wheel as when it had 7/16 studs.
    If you're still skeptical just stick a 1/2 inch drill bit in the lug hole and see what it looks like.

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.