Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 7.10 Tires on Customs Why Not? The Sam Barris Merc did it!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Apr 24, 2009.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You can either upload them on an advanced reply or you can uploadthem to a site like photobucket and copy image address. It's easy once you do it once or twice.

2. Rikster

Rikster

And now with photos to proof it.... they do look great, and I like the new stance a lot.

(just posting these for Jeff...)

Older photo taken at the Sacramento Merc Gathering... just to compare

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Beautiful....

4. Thanks Rik, just saw that you put these up. Thanks for the compliment on the stance,it only raised me a little bit.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah but it raised you in the right place. I feel like it's reverse rake is far more noticeable now and the tires fill the front wheel well a bit more now. Looks absolutely awesome Jeff. I love it!

6. Thanks man, I like that old CrisCraft speedboat look. I was thinking of dropping the front back down that 1/2 inch but im going to leave it.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  7. Just throw some bags on there and you can adjust it to whatever you like. ;):D. Love those shots the car looks great. Love the new tires.

8. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I've got to hurry up and wear out my current WWs so I can get some 7.10s - that just looks SO much better.

9. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

Jeff, It looks really good!!

10. Ahh come on man! You know me better then that! You had to be joking on that one. You couldnt pay me to put airbags on that sled. My car would never forgive me.:mad:

11. Sorry man I had to.:D Your car is perfect just the way it is.

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

So are you saying that you would be opposed to 22" wheels too, jeeze you guys are elitists!!!:D

I would like to see more examples of 7.10's on customs if there any. Also I call dibs on those tires when you are through with them Jeff, I would like to see what they look like on my '54 without actually risking the money on new ones.

13. cafekid

cafekid

i have G78 denmans on my shoebox equiv to an 870 and i love the way mine looks

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  14. 00 MACK

00 MACK

This is why people started fucking up customs.Perfection like this was hard to beat so they started picking at straws to improve what couldnt be improved.

15. 00Mack, Thank you for that compliment,it means a lot when it comes from someone who knows customs. Im with the same taste as you,I tried to just keep this car simple and clean and I think people want to do just way to much. The only other body mods im doin is reworkin my skirts and that should wrap it up as far as the metal work goes.It just seems like people cant leave customs alone,they want to just keep on fuckin with them. Thanks again for the compliment.

16. Mine has G78-15's. Is there a big difference between those and 7.10's.

[​IMG]

17. Nice move JeffSled, you can sleep at night now!

18. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Jeff ,Now that ya mention it, I think its awesome that your reworking your skirts!The "fit in side the wheelwell ", flush skirts never did anything for me.I guess your going with the same skirts that Sam AND Jerry ran, right? As far as your tastes, when you see my car youll regret admitting that theyre close to mine! HAHA The first merc chopped on the east coast was a bit different than the first merc chopped on the west coast! LOL

19. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Jeff you're right about Kustom's.I think people over do them too!They don't flow like yours.If they're done right like yours, most of the mods are simple and subtle. Instead of mods that stand out like a sore thumb.

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

So if the difference between 6.70's and 7.10's is so little why don't more people run them? Anybody?

21. You are so right. The Hirohata merc was about as over the top as a custom can go before it just starts to become a look at what I can do situation. Even it is flirting with too much for me. It's like a pretty girl with way too much makeup on strip some of it off and she looks even better. Tasteful classy rides like Jeff's are what customs are all about to me. Just enough done to them to make them super cool and sexy but not over the top.

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wasn't it right about when things were done for bragging rights rather then automotive styling when things got out of control and took a turn for the worst. I love early 50's customs because it's not about what one kustom shop can do compared to another. Look at the Louie Bettencourt merc. It went to two different Kustom Giants and it still looked great because it was about the car and not how styled it so much. I may be blabbering on at this point but.....

23. 00, I am actually reworking the skirts but they will still be flush mounted.Im losing the lip and dropping them down to the same level as the rocker panel.So they will look like Jerry's and Sams car but they will still be flushed.I know thats not your favorite but I believe the car flows way better that way(at least in my situation). When I first looked at Jerry's merc years ago I always thought that it NEEDED flush mount skirts to complete the look.I wanted to make my car in the period between 1949 and early 1952 and I think the flush mounted skirts still fit in that time frame. So 00 are you saying you own the first chopped merc on the east coast???

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  24. I would have to agree with that.

25. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I am in fact saying that but would love to be proven wrong!That would mean I get to see a chopped merc that I never saw before! LOL

26. So how and when do I get to see your car??

27. I'll go along with that as well.

28. 00 MACK

00 MACK

My cars on a bunch of my threads that I started.Please...........DONT LOOK! LOL

29. That sled is badass!! Thats history!!! How long have you had it and how did you get your hands on a car that was done back in the day?

30. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Its a shitpale.I have 200 hours of bodywork in the nose alone and there hasnt been any progress in the last 50! Time for primer!LOL Look on that myspace thing below.Theres more. I found it in Car Life Magazine when I was 11 and eventually traced it to upstate N.Y.It was in the mag before it was chopped!