Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 7.10 Tires on Customs Why Not? The Sam Barris Merc did it!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Apr 24, 2009.

1. COS

COS
    from KCMO

Flake you one funny man!! LOL

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

What about 7.10's up front and 6.70's out back? This is only if you are running skirts out back. Stupid? I wish I could get an example of a smaller car like a '54 CHevy running them to know whether or not it's officially not good looking.

3. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

I run 7.10 stones on my 49 Hudson and 6.70 stones on my 55 Ford. I've put the 6.70's on the Hudson and my personal opinion is they looked way to small in wheel opening. I can't remember the overall height difference but it's not much. These are the stock sizes that these cars came with new. On a Hudson convertible you could get 7.60's as an option on a 15x5.5 rim and they look great too. A friend of mine runs 7.10's on his 53 Ford and he is going to a 6.70 cause the tires look way to big. These are BFG's bias plys and are a bit taller than the Firestones.

4. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

7.10-15 Firestones on the fastback...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the larger tire on a custom. The whitewall is the smaller of the two sizes that Coker has available on this one.

5. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Big tires look better on big cars, smaller tires on smaller cars. Proportioning is key!

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah me too and I am glad that you mentioned what tire you ran on that car. It seems like it fits the car perfectly but I wonder how a '49 Chevy sizes up to a '49 Merc. Are the close to the same size? I always think that a '49 Chevy is way bigger then the following years of '53 and '54 but I have never done a side by side comparison.

They were all sort of big cars back then!:D I am still wondering if a 7.10 up front and 6.70 out back might be a good idea if I run skirts. I wish I could get a hold of some used 7.10's to get a good idea if they will look right.

7. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

53' fords ran 670's on mainline and customline, 710s on the crestliners.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Were the Crestliners the top of the line model?

9. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

[​IMG]

Yes, there was the sunliner. No idea on tires.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I took this from the Coker site so I assume that this is correct. It said that the 6.70's height is 28.58" where the 7.10's are 28.88. So that is not nearly as much of a difference as I thought. The tread width is the same for each and the recommended wheel width is pretty close. I think the 6.70's recommend 5-6" and the 7.10's recommend 5.5-7".

11. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

I run L-78s on mine and I thoought they where big but after giving it much thought and posting a thread on here I decided to stay with them. I think they might be compariable to the 7.10s.

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

What size whitewall are you running? Your Lincoln looks great!

13. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

Thanks for the compliment!!...They are 4 3/4 inch whites. Also they are Denmans too..

14. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Sam's merc looks great, even IF he blew it with no drip rails (KIDDING)! The tires are spot on, if only that beautiful car were a titch lower, but that is said with mucho hindsight!
    Bass' Chevy is proportionally awesome with the biggies on it too.

15. i run 8.00 on my 48 chevy

16. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

I like em bigger as well, too me it is more period correct to have bigger tires if you are looking at a certain era, if not just pic what you like. i'm running 820's on my cad but it is a heavy car. I will run bias over radials and think they look more correct for a kustom. radials too me just screem modern and then that takes you to the line and you can run billit alum. stuff as well.

Attached Files:

17. chrisman

chrisman

18. I took back my Goodyear 6.70's yesterday and got 7.10's , I think it a lil more period perfect.

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Really? Nice can't wait to see the before and after. I am leaning towards the 7.10's up front because I am noticing more and more cars having them that I did not notice until I searched. Even cars like a '54 Merc look great with the 7.10's.

20. Well to be honest, I never had the 670's put on,I have been running denman g78's. This whitewall on a goodyear supercushion is a whole inch bigger then my old one,I hope it isnt to big.:D

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  21. bikerdan

bikerdan

wow, the seven-tens look great on the big cars.

they'd make my '54 look like it came outta the roger rabbit movie tho.

22. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Hey Jeff, Its gonna look incredible.

23. HotRodDean

HotRodDean

I'm runnin' 710 15's on my 46...I think they look cool :)
    [​IMG]

24. Thanks 00Mack for the reasurance. Had to get them 7.10s and park the denmans. I painted my rims today so hopefully tomorrow I will get a chance to go put them tires on. Every shop I have called has gotten all paranoid when I tell them that I have bias ply:eek:.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

25. Just out of curiosity, why are there so many comments on how large the 7.10s are? Or how they will look massive?? They are only 1/4 to 3/8 taller. Not enough to notice.

So what the hell am I missing here? Is it just a difference in width??

BloodyKnuckles

26. I just put them 7.10s on and they look fuckin INCREDIBLE!!!! Man I wish I would of done that before I just hit the roadster show then sacramento.I cant even look at pictures now of my car without wishing I had those goodyears a while back ago.Now it looks a lot more period with them 710's on there. 00mack you were a 100% right!!

27. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Did ya paint the wheels a shiny version of the color of the car?
    If ya did I promise to have my 78 Coupe Deville shipped down drom N.Y. and Ill show up for our first photo shoot with 3 meth hookers that have a combined total of 23 teeth.Dont worry about their tattoos.Ill have one do a Barris crest on the others remaining tit on the while I drive.

28. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Anthony is off his meds.... again!

29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well let's see the son of a bitch Jeff! I'm pretty excited to see the reincarnation of one of the baddest mercs out there.

30. Thanks for the compliment, I need to learn how to post pictures on here,I never have posted any.