Register now to get rid of these ads!

7.00" rear tires vs 7.50"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kilroy, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Anybody running 7.00 rear tires on their hot rods instead of the tried and true 7.50?

7.5s are starting to look too tall to me on some cars. I think it might only be roadsters but I don't know.

Anybody have any pics?

Here's an example of where the rear tire looks entirely too huge to me (pic stolen from Rolling Bones site).

Attached Files:

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

These are 700-16 The main reason I'm running 700s instead of 750s is that I found 4 low milage take offs (he went to radials) for a 100 bucks!!!! I found them at Hershey. They were on a Packard.

3. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

I think those tires look too fat instead of too huge but basically you are right.The small front tire does the rest.I think the Doane Spencer Roadster runs 7.00's in the rear and there's no way to improve that look.

4. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I thought the Spencer roadster ran 7.5s too...

Here's a similar shot of it.

It clearly has taller front tires.

Attached Files:

• ds10.jpg
      ds10.jpg
      File size:
      19.4 KB
      Views:

5. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Yes,you are right.I just was about to post the same pic ! So maybe it's the small front tire which makes the rear tire look bigger...I think it looks more balanced on the Spencer car,or ?

6. I have about 2 weeks until I am up and running but my roadster will have 700's in back 600's in front. I think for the certain cars they look better than the taller 7.50's.. but on a highboy coupe 7.50's all the way.. Though I cannot find fault on the 2 posted roadsters 7.50's or not..

7. alchemy

alchemy

I'm have 5.50x16 and 7.00x16 on a '32 tudor. But it is full fendered.

If it was a fenderless '32 I would definitely have run smaller fronts, and maybe 7.50's on the rear.

My wheels are 4" front and 4.5" rear.

8. kustomkoupe

kustomkoupe

i have 7.00's on the back and 6.00's in the front...i dont care for that heavy rake due to the tires...looks too much like some sort of drag car to me then

zach

Attached Files:

9. What is the circumference of each....7.00 X 16 vs 7.50 X 16 ? How about ideal rim widths for each one ?

10. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Johnny, you can find most of that info at www.coker.com

Kustomkoup...

It's amazing how much smaller the 7.0 look on your car...

I wonder if it's just a camera angle thing. Do you have any more pics?

It's a bitchin car by the way.

11. kustomkoupe

kustomkoupe

thanks, heres another shot...i hate how these side shots make the wheels look misaligned in the wheel wells...they arent!!

zach

Attached Files:

12. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

7:00x16 compared to 7:50 x16 is the 7:50 is a 1/2" taller according to Corky. A consideration if your trying to get a little more top end out of a Banjo rear.

13. DrJ

DrJ

That's what I was gonna say but I waas busy packing some wheel bearings...

Both "look" "HotRod".
    The 7.50 is for the Lakes and the 7.00 or maybe even smaller if you're low on bottom end torque, is for the drag strip.

It IS a racing HOTROD isn't it?

If it's just for looks, th bigger tire looks more "lakester" and the smaller tire looks more "dragster".

14. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

I think it depends on what size front tire you are running to keep the balance. A 7.50 rear/6.00 front looks real good to me. A smaller front tire will make the rears look taller though. Heres a sedan(not mine) with a 7.50/6.00 combo that looks real good. I'm running the same combo(except www)on my sedan I'm building

Attached Files:

15. rodrelic

rodrelic

16. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

That's not so much what I'm talking about...

It's just about what looks right.

It's wierd...

On both the pictures I posted, the rear tires look a little large to me. Not so much on the Spencer roadster but still a little bit big...

They're both 32 roadsters.

Now on all the A's I look at, the 7.5 seem to look best as long as you have at least a 5.0 tire in front.

Right now for my 31 roadster, I have some original Goodyear (Why don't they repop those things anyway? To me they look better than the Firestones.) 6.0 tires for the front on ford rims and I'm thinking about using some 7.5 truck tires for the rear on Ford truck rims. From the posted pics, I think it will make a good combo.

If there isn't enough of a difference in size, I'll go with 5.0 fronts.

Show me some more pics of the 7.5s and 7.0s though...

I need the input. I'm about to pay for some tires this week...

17. TimW

TimW
    from Kentucky

I had 450's on the front and 750's on the rear of my old truck. Coker catalog listed the 700's as having more section width than the 750's. I thought that on a 5 inch wheel I didn't want the extra width.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. TimW

TimW
    from Kentucky

Can you post pictures of your tudor? I am thinking of taking the 15 inchers off of my sedan and running 16's and I'd like to see how the 700's look on a fendered car. Right now I have 5:60's and H78's (rears are too short!)
    Thanks for the pic if you can help. Tim

19. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

Im running 7.50s in the back and 4.50/4.75s in the front but Ive got 16x5 wheels that Im gonna get a set of 7.00s for.Louie

Attached Files:

20. alchemy

alchemy

Hopefully in the next two weeks I will get the car out from it's long slumber. Then I'll post pics.

BTW, your pickup is PERFECT! Absolutely perfect stance and sizing (chop on top and bed).

21. One of the reasons I like 7.50's on the rear is when you look at the car side on from a distance, the circumference of the tire hugs the hiboys body/wheel arch very very nicely.

Its all in the details. Im running a 7.50 rear/31" tall and 5.25" 26.5" tall on the front of my hiboy coupe. I think it gives me the right stance Im after and "fills" out the wheel arches on th rear properly.

Rat

Attached Files:

22. redbeard

redbeard

Ok here are two pics of my car with 700-16 in one pic and
    750-16 in the other. both have the same 450-16 fronts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have to admit the 750 do sometimes seem too tall.

I switched because I started with 700 and I needed more leg on the
    highway.

The car runs a flathead and 39 ford three speed with 40 banjo with 3:78 gears.

I could keep up with trafic, but I was driving to vegas and other long drives and the taller tires did bring down the rpms.

If I had different gears in back I may have kept the 700, both for looks and for launching off the line. but the flathead still launches.

anyhow good luck

23. DrJ

DrJ

Function dictating style, rather than the other way around.
    That's traditional hotrodding.
    The 7.50 provides the desired performance.
    So it must look "hotrod" if it's just for looks, it's reason for being is sliding on over to "streetrod"

I noticed in the several pictures that the cars with the 7.50 tires sometimes didn't have the tire and wheel opening looking quite concentric.
    I think, when the fender's gone the alignment of the tire and that wheel opening becomes critical to the look and they look best if the follow each other the whole radius around.
    A couple of the cars look too low in back, breaking up that relationship, and making the 7.50 tire look "too big".
    Or it could just be camera angle.... :cool:

24. flatoz

flatoz

redbeard,

I never thought i would say it, but I reckon the 7.00 look the ducks guts on yours.

I have just ventured into the bias plys on my ride, the rears are 7.50 cokers the fronts 5.25 firestones, the rears are 31" tall, but I reckon I could still go a bit taller, or drop the arse end some.

to me the fronts on mine nearly look a little too big, so I dont get the rake from them.
    I was hoping they would make the car have the same stance as rats, but I dont have an A front cross member, and , as someone said, I think coupes make the tyres look a bit smaller as the vehicle is physically taller.

Attached Files:

25. redbeard

redbeard

Dr J
    I can only speak for my car, but my wheel is concentric to the wheel
    well.

It is the camera angle, as you can see in the first pic, the wheel is too far
    forward. and in the second the wheel is too far back. trust me I didn't move
    the axle.

flatoz, I have no idea what "the ducks guts" means.
    but I like the looks of your car with the bias plys.

26. SimonSez

SimonSez

Flatoz, to me yours looks just right as it is.

I think if you lowered the rear, it would make the rear tyres look a bit big - kind of like the first roadster posted.

Or it could just be the red paint on yours that takes your eyes off the tyres and therefore makes them look smaller ?

27. TimW

TimW
    from Kentucky

Thanks for the compliment on the truck, but is is no longer mine. I had to sell it to buy a 32 sedan that I talked my Dad out of, that is why I would like to see the pics of your sedan with the 700/16's. This is what I spent my truck money on...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'd would like to try to run a set of 16 inch kelseys and I'm trying to determine the rear tire size. Thanks again for the pic when you get time and the comp on the truck. Tim

28. flatoz

flatoz

good swap I reckon.

29. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I think it's the same as "the dog's bollocks":D

30. Mart

Mart

It's just an opinion, but the bigger tyres look less massive if the rim is a more contrasting colour. If the rim is black, it's easy to perceive the tyre starting at the edge of the trim ring. With a contrasting colour rim, you can better see the proper delineation between the two.
    Yeah I know I talk and spell funny.
    I run 7:50's and 5:50's and think they look good.
    Mart.