Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 7.00/16 tires on a 7 inch rim? Can it happen?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot-rod dude, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Hi guys, I did a search and I could not find an answer to this specific question.

"Has anyone ever fitted a 7.00/16 Firestone WWW tire to a 7 inch rim? "

I'm making up a set of 7" x 16" steel rims, and I need tires for them.

My tire supplier says that it would be on the absolute limit for maximum width for that size tire, but they would prefer not fit it. ( I guess that they are just trying to do the right thing as a business and protect their asses by staying within the parameters that the tire manufactures suggest...but thats cool, I understand that).

But hot rodding being hot rodding, we always seem to push things to the limits, as long as its safe.

I've heard on other tire threads here that 7.00/16's are in fact a little wider than 7.50/16's. is that right? I could run a 7.50/16 as they apparently easily go on a 6 " rim, but I'm worried that they would look a bit bulbous side on. The tires are going on the rear of a '37 Chevy roadster, with 5.50/16's on the front. The '37 Chevy roadster has a bit of a bulbous body on them anyway, so the 7.50/16's might look alright on it after all.
    What's your experience here?
    Cheers, ~H.R.D~

2. Any one done this?

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I wouldn't do it, because you will be stretching that tire and running the risk of tire failure. 6 inch wide rim would be the max. The difference between a 7.00 and a 7.50 is the height, not the width.

4. Coker recommended 4.5 to 5.5 width wheel......for a 7.00-16 tire
    it will look like a hopper car.......

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Your telling me what I thought. That's cool, that's why I ask questions. Thanks guys, the HAMB worked again. Black wall radials it is....Mmmmmmm.