Register now to get rid of these ads!

6x2 Ford (Holley) 94's on FE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAD ROD, Feb 16, 2010.

1. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I slapped a 6x2 intake and 94's on my FE 390 Ranchero a while back and it ran like crap - way, way to rich. It sat for months and over the last week I finally got some time to tinker on it.

You know how many adjustments are on this setup?

Each carb has:
    2 idle mixture adjustments
    1 idle rate adjustment
    1 power valve
    2 jets
    1 accelerator pump
    1 float

That is 8 adjustments per carb times 6 carbs equals 48 adjustments. Add in progressive linkage with about 7 points of adjustment and you have 55 points of adjustment to get this setup in tune. That is 55 things that all have to work together!

The biggest snag I ran into was learning the lesson that new power valve block offs can leak. Four out of four leaked for me. They seem to come with the wrong gasket. I changed gaskets and they work fine.

Oh and that thing everyone says about 94's liking low fuel pressure.....that turns out to be true. :)

So, I am slowing getting my 6x2 setup. Engine idles super great - not lean and not rich.

The problem I am having now is that if I snap the throttle wide open from an idle, it will die. It appears to be a simple over carburetion situation where with engine doesn't know what to do with a sudden 1,200 cfm at 1,000 rpm.

If you ease open the throttle, it seems to run great at wide open throttle. It does seem to stumble a bit at sustained low cruising speed. I think this is occuring right before the secondary carbs open up and the engine is not getting enough fuel - not sure yet.

Is there a rule of thumb on what RPM the secondary carbs should start to open?

Thanks,

Mike

2. A Rodder

A Rodder

i finally decided to just run the center two in my sbc. I still have to ease in to it, still need to do some messing with it.