Register now to get rid of these ads!

6volt to 12 volt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by box50, Jun 3, 2011.

1. box50

box50

Hey guys, Need to find out something my son and I wired my car with a new 6-volt wiring kit a while back now I'm thinking about changing it to 12-volt. Can I use the 6-volt harness or do I have to change it and start over Thanks for the help,box50:confused:

2. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

That would work out perfect.
    6V harness/wires can take more juice/amps:)!

Taildragger&fenderless

3. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Why? What's wrong with 6V?

4. box50

box50

I know my son says leave it alone and I would like to but my taillights are so dim you can't see them. My buddy's all say it's not grounded good Im sure that's got a lot to do with I will check that first Thank's man box50

5. The nice thing about cleaning the grounds first is if the lights are still not bright enough it is something you should do for the 12 volt system anyway (just not as critical).

Charlie Stephens

6. I cleaned all the grounds,plugs and connectors on my 6V system and the lights are as bright as the ones on my 12V bug.

7. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Proper grounds are critical and it looks like that was your problem.
    If you decide to convert to 12V in the future all you need to do is change all the bulbs, replace the generator with a 12V alternator (or generator/regulator), either change your electric gauges to 12V or install voltage drops. The 6V starter will last a long, long time as long as it's in good condition now.

8. MORRISGAUGE

MORRISGAUGE

Do not put 12 volts to 6 volt gauges, ever!

9. 48buickkid

48buickkid

because you mention only the tailights what do the insides of your tailight housings look like?if its all rusty your not gonna have bright lights some sandblasting, silver paint, and alot of gloss will fix that problem.

10. Weasel

Weasel

White paint works better on tail light reflectors than silver paint - this from experience with both....

11. 48buickkid

48buickkid

that makes sense cause white reflects more light