Register now to get rid of these ads!

6v to 12v conversion question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mnhotrodbuilder, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I did a few searchs and I decided to convert. I put a 12v battery, gen, voltage regulator and blaster 2 coil in, and I have a mallory distributor. BTW this is on a 41 merc flathead. I went to start the car and it started to turn over and died. I went back to check the connections and the resistor was super hot. Everything else seemed fine. What is causing the resistor to get so hot? Car ran before the conversion.

2. shainerman

shainerman

How long did it run before it died? You also my not need a resistor with the Blaster 2. Some of them are internally resisted. Ive lost power due to a bad resistor as well. How heavy of a gauge wire are you running to the resistor?

3. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

10 or 12 gauge from resistor to coil, I believe I'm at work and will check when I get home.

4. shainerman

shainerman

how bout from your bat/hot output to the resistor? 10 should be more than enough though. Is the wire running to the resistor coming form the solenoid or the voltage regulator?

5. Willy301

Willy301

sounds like you might have too much load on the resistor or the resistor itself is just bad. If you are only running the resistor to the coil, the resistor is likely bad, if you are running all your old 6v lighting and the coil through the resistor, you need a second resistor for the accessories and 1 dedicated to the coil. The starter should be able to handle 12 volts, it will just spin a bit faster than stock, the old 6v starters were wound alot heavier than the 12v's today. I have OT antique tractors and this is where I am getting the experience in this. The blaster 2 coil is also what I run on my Falcon, and it calls for the resistor unless certain other things are changed, so you might look it over and see if the criteria are met if you are not running resistor to the coil as well.

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

When you made the change to 12 volt did you rewire from 6 volt positive ground to 12 volt negative ground? Did you change the starter solenoid from the old 6 volt to a 12 volt solenoid? also you should have put in a '57 and later gauge regulator or you will fry them too.When you change grounds there are wiring changes you need to make,hopefully a fellow HAMBer may have a diagram to post.

7. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

starter solenoid is the same as I had for 6V. I did switch from pos ground to neg on the battery. I bought a new resistor on my way to work I will try tonight. resistor is dedicated to the coil.

8. shainerman

shainerman

That would be my first try. Dont think too far into this. Its going to be something simple. A lot of newer resistors are shit.

9. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

The resistor was the same I had before didn't replace it. I thought they were the same for 6v and 12v, the parts guy told me he thought they are different. Not sure so I picked one up $6 not to bad. I know it is something simple just not sure what it is.

10. shainerman

shainerman

Yeah, youll need a new one after your swap. If anything just because the new juice running through it. Good luck and keep us posted

11. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I thought you had to change the condenser in the distributor too? They do make 6 and 12 volt.

12. George/Maine

George/Maine

You should remove, if one is under dash that .5 ohm.You need a 12 volt coil and matching resister about 1.5 ohms.

13. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Changed out resistor, turn the switch to run and the new resistor started smoking. Then after some more testing I took the coil off looked at it and wouldn't you know it the Blaster 2 is for electronic Ignitions, I have a dual point Mallory distributor. I thought I could still use it with the points and a resistor. However, I swapped it out with a different 12v coil I had and she turned over and I let her idle a bit. The resistor now is still a little warm but not burning up like before. Then i got a bug up my ass and decided to fit my grancor heads. Can't wait to get the longer studs and gaskets in! Thanks for the help guys.