Register now to get rid of these ads!

6v conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by il Revrunde, Sep 13, 2006.

1. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

ok ok.....i admit i'm new to this.....i've never done one so i have a couple questions.
    1. is the conversion guide that speedway motors sells worth a damn?
    2. how hard is it really, considering i want to use an aftermarket 3 guage cluster?
    3. 1 wire gm alt. or standard?
    and
    4. will my 6 volt starter and distributor be able to handle the 12 volts(and i do know i'll need a 12 volt coil)
    any and all info is welcome and appreciated.
    i am no expert and i just want my baby to be as reliable as the next guy...otherwise i wouldn't have installed seat belts....hahaha
    thanks

2. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Quiz answers:
    I. Don't know, never read it.
    II. Not hard, really.
    III. 1 wire GM.
    IIII. Yes.
    :) :D Ha Ha

3. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

4. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

just incase i need to reiterate
    nobody is to get offended....
    i'm a jackass and if i intend to piss you off you'll know
    i appreciate everything y'all do for me
    :rolleyes:

5. My 2c.
    The guage cluster should be the same as any other car, except you didn't mention what guages you were using.

My understanding of the 1 wire alternator is that it will not produce 12 volts at idle. It works more like a generator if you will.

I have never put 12 volts to a 6 volt starter, but I have put 12 volts to a 6 volt wiper motor (VW) it basacally ran twice as fast as with 6 volts. Doing this may burn up the starter.

6. sinner13

sinner13
    from Buffalo NY

Your starter should be fine, however if you continuous crank, it is possible that your solenoid may smoke. I have had no problems running 12v with my stock 6v starter.
    Your distributor and points will be fine also, there pretty beefy....and seem to handle 12v pretty good.

Read this over : http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/six12.htm

7. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

wow...very helpful...thank you
    gotta love the h.a.m.b.!

8. Not sure the extent of your project, but this week I am doing a 12volt conversion job to a customers '49 Caddy. He bought a special 6/12volt battery and special switching solenoid.(about the size of a big beer can) Apparently, it cranks the car on 12volts then switches over to 6volts when engine runs. Send me a PM to remind me and I will do a full, post installation, report for all you fella's.
    JT

9. BJR

BJR

I have a jeep with a 12 volt conversion running the 6 volt starter for the last 10 years. Only problems have been broken starter drives, two times in 10 years. Change the coil, light bulbs, turn signal flasher to 12 volt parts. Get a ceramic 12 to 6 voltage drop for the heater blower and radio. Get a solid state 12 to 6 voltage drop for each 6 volt gage, such as the gas, temp, and oil pressure if electric. Change the amp meter to one with the same or larger amp rating as the alternator or you will fry it. Brian