Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 6v battery dies in 5 seconds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by That_53_Guy, Oct 17, 2019.

1. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

thanks, the starter hasn't been touched as far as I know, may be time to yank it just to be sure.

2. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

I tore the generator apart just to make sure there wasn't anything burnt up in it. While I had it apart, I cleaned it up a little and sanded the terminal connections. Everything looked good, and it spins freely when I connect it to power.

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Guys he said his car dies after 5 minutes and will crank but not start! He does not have a battery or charging problem! He has a spark or fuel problem. He was not clear in his first post as to what his car was doing. And gave some misinformation, sending us down the wrong path, looking for a problem that wasn’t there!
    If a battery will spin the engine..... it is not “ dead”, it can be low. If the battery will crank the engine, it didn’t kill the car!

See post #23!

Bones

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    Saxman, VANDENPLAS and shivasdad like this.
  4. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

Boneyard: it dies after 5 seconds, will check spark after it dies. Thanx

Sent from my SM-G975U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 likes this.
  5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

A car dying after running 5 seconds and not stating would lead me more to fuel. Possibly a restricted needle and seat. Not completely plugged. The fuel pump will maintain pressure and fill the carb, slowly, then when yo fire it up, up you burn the fuel in the carb, takes about five seconds and you car dies and won’t start.

Usually electrical problems take a little longer, as they react to heat, again I say usually!

Bones

X-cpe and Speedy Canuck like this.
  6. donsz

donsz

Some ideas if nothing else works:
    If I interpret your problem correctly,
    1. A "new" battery will start the engine and run for 5 seconds.
    2. Then the battery is dead
    3. A new charged battery does the same as item 1 and so on
    I would ask if the problem started after the replacement of the voltage regulator. Sometimes the last thing
    you did causes the problem (I have done that often enough). Check your VR connections, and possibly
    try the old one for test purposes.

If the battery does not go dead, but the engine only runs for 5 seconds each start attempt: possibly you
    have a starting circuit mis-wire, or the in-line resistor is open (assuming you have one).

That_53_Guy and upspirate like this.
  7. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

That makes sense, I may Be chasing the wrong dragon. It may very well be a fuel problem. It took me a year to figure out how to get the card or run because a fuel delivery and carburetor issues. Maybe I didn't have it as figured out as I thought I did.

8. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

Thanks For the and port, the 1st thing I need to do is to confirm that the battery is actually dead. As I stated above, I may be chasing the wrong thing.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1. If it dies after 5 minutes of running and the starter will spin it over but it doesn't start it is NOT the battery.
    You don't really need a charging system to run for a short time.
    As the others said an electrical issue big enough to drain the battery in five minutes You would have an electrical fire on your hands. That would be something like the main power feed to the starter shorting out against bare metal.

2. if it cranks over and you have spark after it dies, most likely it is a fuel issue as Bones suggested.
    Fuel issue:
    Pump on the weak side to where it won't pump enough gas to the carb. Not the most likely thing though.
    Restriction in the fuel line due to a hose or line being kinked or smashed. I've seen who knows how many fuel lines twisted right in a knot at the carb fitting.
    WRONG gas cap on the tank that is not venting and creates a vacuum in the tank that the pump cannot overcome. I went through 3 new Stant vented caps on my 51 Merc before I found one that was actually vented All three were in the same bin at the same parts house.
    Trash in the tank that plugs the pickup in the tank. I've seen rags and pieces of paper floating around in the gas tanks before and especially on cars that sat for a while where kids might be around them.

The main thing is to quit beating your head against the wall and assuming. Draw out a does but doesn't do list.
    Somewhat of a does when list on one side and a doesn't do list down the other side.
    Does:
    Starts and runs for 5 minutes.
    Cranks after dying and has spark
    Starts after sitting a while with no repairs.
    Dies again after a short period

Next time you run it in the driveway until it quits run around to the gas filler and take the cap off and listen carefully, do you hear air rush in the tank? Yes/no Yes you have a bad cap, No the cap is venting right.

Eliminate things one at a time Then don't keep on thinking that it is still the problem.

Note, while that little charger works great for the buck ( I have it's big brother) They take a long time to recharge a battery and work great on something that you don't need charged fast and don't want to over charge.

That_53_Guy and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

What Nailhead said
    I know this is not a ford, But on the old 6 volt fords if it cranks and runs for a short time and then dies, it's normaly the coil/condenser ????
    Didn't see what happened when you tested for spark right after it died.
    Just food for thought.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  11. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

To do list tonite is checking carb, fuel lines, pump etc. My gas cap does leak, I always have fuel running down mu bumper after a drive. Been meaning to source a new one, put that on the list also. Thanks

Boneyard51 likes this.
  12. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

I haven't tested for spark after it dies, will do tonight

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

Alright guys, here's the update...as Mr48chev and Bones thought yesterday, it appears to be a fuel issue, not a battery/electrical issue. After firing her up and dying after 5 seconds, I checked voltage on the battery. It was the same or higher than it was when I checked it before starting it. I appear to be getting spark, and nothing felt warm or hot (cables, wires, coil, etc). As we speak, I've got the 97 torn apart and it's in the ultrasonic tank. Will probably run down to SoCal today and pickup a rebuild kit. Still need to chase fuel lines and fuel pump, but my fuel gauge says I'm getting constant pressure. n So me thinks it's something in the carb itself. I can't thank you all enough for your help, and thanks for being patient with a noob.
    Josh

Boneyard51 and upspirate like this.
  14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

If you have an air compressor, blow air back through the line to the tank. That should dislodge anything in the line or at the inlet.

15. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

will do, thanks

16. samurai mike

samurai mike

what do you mean " it spins freely when I connect it to power"? does it run like an electric motor?

17. BJR

BJR

Did you look at the chart I posted, it says a fully charged 6 volt battery is at 6.37 volts.

18. Each cell will be 2.1 volts on a fully charged automotive battery...after any surface charge is gone, 12volt=12.6. 6volt=6.3.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

The pulley on the front where the fan belt goes spins when the genny is connected to battery

20. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

I did, it's not a battery issue after all, maintaining 6.4 v. It's a fuel or maybe condenser problem

21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Whatever the gremlin is k hope you find it .:) My situation was you jump battery , starts right up. Take jumper off , try to start and and battery low. Alt. reading 9.1 to 11. New alt. and problem solved.

22. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I figure there were other problems than the battery itself but it sounded a little like he was unclear on what normal charging voltage would be.

57 Fargo likes this.
  23. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

I keep wondering if switching to 12v would solve some issues...or maybe create more issues? :)

24. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

To be honest I'm a little unclear on most of this stuff lol. But I'm learning as I go. I appreciate your help.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

This is the place to learn! We’ve got some real smart guys here and guys with a lot of experience. Combine the two, you should be able to fix anything.......eventually! Lol

Bones

That_53_Guy likes this.
  26. upspirate

upspirate

If you have carb/fuel issues 12v won't help

6inarow and That_53_Guy like this.
  27. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Pull the coil wire from the dist. Disconnect the fuel line from the carb. Direct the line into a 16 to20 once soda bottle. Have an assistant crank the starter. As the starter spins you will be able to count pulses of discharge from the pump. Count 12. You should have 8 to 12 ounces of gas in the bottle. Less is insufficient flow to sustain running. There is an internal screen filter in the pump between the input and output side and or one in the glass bowlif it has one.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Nailhead Jason and That_53_Guy like this.
  28. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

I rebuilt the carb thinking that would fix my issue. No dice, pulled the dist. and replaced the condenser, rotor and cap. Went through the TDC thing before installing dist. (more times than I'd like to admit), I can not get spark. Multimeter says I'm getting power from voltage regulator to coil, from coil to side of dist. and inside to condenser, still no spark to plugs. The dreaded crank no start. Not sure what me next move is.

29. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Got a wire terminal "flag" rotated on it's screw and grounding out on the points backing plate? Been there, done that.........

Ed

samurai mike, 1stGrumpy and 6inarow like this.
  30. That_53_Guy

That_53_Guy

Will take a look today, thanks