Register now to get rid of these ads!

68 302 Broken piston skirts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51fordor, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Buddha Doll

Buddha Doll

"no, due to the difference in stroke between 302 & 327 (3.0 vs 3.25) the piston pin location has to be different."

Should have been more clear... I wouldn't think that where they drilled the hole would have a big effect on price. I mean they still have to drill a hole, just in a different spot. I guess any way to justify a buck.

2. 51fordor

51fordor

My block is the numbers that say it has the shorter cylinder walls. As far as I can tell I am the first person to go inside this motor. It is still stock bore, stock cam, and stock heads. The only chage was an intake. There isn't even ridges worn in the top's of the cylinders. So we are just going to put some new pistons (not stock cast crap) in it and run the hell out of it. Thanks so much guys for all the input!

3. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

I like to build 302's using 289 connecting rods, a 302 has 5.090" long rods while the 289 rods are 5.155" long (.065" longer). Flycutting at least .035" off of the top of the pistons will put the piston at around .000" deck height. Depending on who made the pistons you use you may be able to cut more than .035" off of the top of the piston to lower the compression, but I do recomend re-boring the cylinders oversize to eliminate any possible ridges because you are making the piston rings go .065" higher in the bore. Just because you may not feel a ridge doesn't there isn't one, and they all usually have some sort of ridge (the bores may also be oval shaped).
    Have it rebored with new pistons so the machine shop can bore it to right piston/wall clearance.

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ