Register now to get rid of these ads!

66 T-Bird Rear Seat in Shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chop50, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Chop50

Chop50

Anyone installed a 66 t-bird rear seat in a shoebox? Should I cut away some of the rear package tray to fit the upper rear panel up to the rear window?
    Also rear glass is out but I braced the window frame with electrical conduit before removing from the roof.

Thanks, Steve

2. Bengt Forsberg

Bengt Forsberg
    from Sweden

I have use an 66 T-bird rear seat in my Chev -53 2-door HT and i have to narrow the seat about an inch and I custommade the, I don´t know what the name is in english, the area between back window and seat. You can see the picture.

Attached Files:

3. Chop50

Chop50

That looks great! The area you are referring to is the "package tray".
    I am trying to incorporate the original T-Bird upper panel to see if it can be made to fit.

Steve

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if you use a earlier rear T-Bird seat easier to install since they are one piece. in pic is a '63 seat in mock up stage in chopped '51 Ford Coupe (For Sale here).

Attached Files:

5. can someone give the width of the lower seat from a 66 and are they about the same width as the 64-65?

6. Chop50

Chop50

I have not measured it but it is about a perfect fit in my 50.

7. gatz

gatz

by "earlier", do you mean the 61 - 63 Birds ?

8. 64-66 tbird seats are the same as far as I know. Pretty much a drop-in in 49-51 Fords. I don't think you need to modify the package tray, but don't take my word for it.

9. They are 2 separate seats. Make 'em wider or narrower by modifying the centre arm rest.

10. Both of these are mid-60s seats in 49-51 Fords. Stolen from this here HAMB...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Elcohaulic likes this.
  11. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Many years ago a freind put one in his 50 Merc. It was comfy and looked stunning in that old Merc just like it belonged there.

12. ccrodder

ccrodder

Great fit in your Chevy, Bengt...awesome completed interior!

BTW...As shown in the other photos, T-Bird frt. buckets fit well for a complete frt./rear match... new foam is available from Thunderbird vendors.

...in Mercs as well.

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

---1958-1963. the later the year used the taller the back of front bucket seats - if using in chopped car shorter style looks better.

14. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

What year is this one? I love the look of the tbird seats in a shoebox but most seem like they won't work in a Fordor because they wrap around too much. This one looks like it might work!

15. ccrodder

ccrodder

These appear to be the '64-'66 T-Bird seats, some '66 models had different upholstery but the frames were the same '64-'66.
    The front buckets in this photo are not T-Bird seats, they look like maybe late '60's Chevelle.

16. No idea. Maybe they modified the seat backs when they were reupholstered?

17. Havasu Surfer

Havasu Surfer

New to this board. Based on my chop I had to remove the rear package trap and support brace. The bottom of the seat doesn't match the shape of the trans tunnel and the cross bars don't meet up with the mounting points of the seat. Any idea on the bracketry or how they built a way to mount them? Thanks for any insight

Sgt. John likes this.