Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 66 galaxie wont run

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66GoldenGalaxie, Aug 29, 2017.

1. 66GoldenGalaxie

66GoldenGalaxie

I have a 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 sedan with the 390 2bbl, automatic trans, power steering, power brakes. All stock. The problem i was having is when I apply the brakes, the engine would start to run real rough from about 10 mph until a few seconds after a complete stop. Once stopped at the light, engine will be running really rough for a few seconds until engine smooths out. It would do this about everytime I stopped and started out of nowhere. Then the next time I started it, it would barely run, wouldn't accelerate, just sounds like it was sucking air but no rpm raise. Now the problem im having is it won't even run. After that last drive, I was stranded because it wouldn't start. Kinda started once after that with my foot to the floor and it ran extremely rough at low rpms with full throttle but if I let off the gas it would die. Confuses me because I drove It to school that morning and It was fine, now all of the sudden It won't run. It has new points, condenser, rotor, cap, wires, plugs, plug wires, fuel pump, and carburator was rebuilt. Thank you !

2. Mark Roby

Mark Roby

Power Brakes? I'm going with a vacuum leak and probably in the booster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truck64 and Terrible80 like this.
  3. Dit it Run with the Old Part's in it....???

like the Points & Cond..???

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

302GMC likes this.
  4. RmK57

RmK57

It could be your brake booster is shot. The rubber diaphragm inside may have ruptured causing a vacuum leak when you apply the brakes.
    Unplug the rubber line to the intake manifold and cap off the nipple. Start the engine and see if it starts or runs smoother. Be aware you won't have any powere brakes if you drive it.

5. It could be the Condenser thats Bad & it wont Start
    also if it was Loose & it Came complete'ly off than
    it wont start at all.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

it could be that it is a '66, with '65 being the cutoff here - post pics of motor with air cleaner off

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

Plug the hose to the vacuum booster and see if it starts.

8. RmK57

RmK57

Most people couldn't tell the difference between a 65 and 66 model Galaxie's.;)

9. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I'm leaning towards vacuum leak.check by spraying carb cleaner around carb base.

10. Gr8punkin

Gr8punkin

I gotta agree with everyone who's questioning the brake booster, it sounds like the booster was going bad and it gave its last good go when the engine started running bad.

11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Put a vacuum gauge on the engine and monitor it when the engine starts to run rough. I agree with the booster or hoses.