Register now to get rid of these ads!

66 F100 for a Model A?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyfords, Sep 19, 2011.

1. That'd be a hard truck to replace. I'd say "no way Jose" on the trade depending on what A was offered.

2. VonKool13

VonKool13

IF???? You get the trade, do it in a split second. NO hesitation because you will get your money out of the A.

3. Keep the truck and save for an A.

4. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

I bought my 66 C10 LWB for 100 bucks in major project condition. Hadn't even got it home before I was offered a 1000 bucks. That's in Oklahoma! These old trucks are going up in value. As for the OP's question....that's a tough call! Both would be awesome to own, that being said as a daily driver I'd stick with the truck...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  5. Again,you don't live in the South, the 65/66 Ford Custom Cab V8 trucks in very good original condition will bring $2,500 and up.

I can think of 4 of these trucks in my area that are still in the possession the original owners,,several people have tried to buy them and one local car dealer offered Mr. Gambrell a local farmer $5,000 for his red and white 66 Custom Cab but he refused to sell.

And while I'm on my soap box,,Slick 60's is very much like the hamb,,there are knowledgeable guys there but there are also some clown's just like here that know everything.

I realize that someone may pay more for a car,or truck in this case,in different parts of the country but in the rural South a nice truck is and has been more useful & in certain cases more desirable than a car. HRP

6. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

I'm a huge F100 fan, especially 65,66. I have watched for a reasonably priced (under 4 or 5K) shortbed for years. They don't exist. Thats a sharp little shorty you have there and worth a pretty penny. At under 1,000 a piece, I'd have a yard full of them cause I cant resist a good deal on a nice F100.

As it is, I have only one, I got a good deal on a rust free 66 long bed, old farts truck. Unknown mileage. I paide 2500.00 for it and felt i got a great deal.

BTW, its my daily driver too :D

Scot

7. OK....I'll show you two.

These are on 7 day bidding cycles on eBay and there's still 6 days left on both of them. So...they'll obviously sell for at least the current bid.

These two are custom cab trucks but they're not low mileage originals with nice original paint.

I could do this all day long.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  8. Slackcat, that looks like a pretty rock solid old C-10 in your avatar.

9. Honestly I would keep the truck then save up for a model a and have that as your project.

10. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

I do not know what kind of NY dope you are smokin' but his truck is worth a minimum of 8k as is! The rust bucket you bought was such a rust bucket there was no metal left. So yes that was less than a grand. Just because your pile of rust was worth nothing does not make a nice original rust free truck worth the same.

11. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

If you want to sell let me know. Have people standing in line looking for nice trucks.

12. shocker998md

shocker998md

I wouldnt, then again my wife is DDing my 66. Ive driven it from NC to FL, and all the way up to NJ multiple times. It gets me where im going and hasnt left me stranded yet.

13. Your 66 sounds like mine. I'd drive it anywhere.

My only beef with mine at present is the $@# 3.70 gears. It really winds out going down the highway. I put taller tires on it and that helped a bit, but what it really needs is a new 3rd member with highway gears or an overdrive unit.

14. oltruckag

oltruckag

I got a good 3.25 third member out of pull-a-part cheap ($75ish) here in GA. I put it in my 223 powered '62 and it made it a completely different truck (had 3.73). I had to look under 6 trucks, but I found a rear that wasn't leaking with the original copper crush washers that was in great shape. The gears that came out of my truck were SHOT. I couldn't even get bearings cheaper than the entire unit at the yard.

Also, on topic, don't trade the truck for an A. Especially if your owner two and it is low mileage. You'll regret it.

And, agreeing with everyone above - if you've got a low mileage slick 60 with good original paint and running condition for 1k I'll be there with a trailer in the morning. I paid $800 for mine 10 years ago and the owner was using the cab to store hay because it was dry. Lots of work and $$ later it's a very nice weekend cruiser.

Tyson

15. Look into a T5 transmission, that's what I'm going to do on my '48 that has a 223 but it also has 4.27 gears.

The T5 is a .72 in fifth gear. Might be a little bit too long legged with a your 3.70 which would yield a 2.66 final drive.

16. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I drove my 66 F100 for a year, racking up 20,000 miles on it. It did screw up a couple of times but that was due to crappy wiring. There are still bare wires everywhere. The truck would start even when it was 25 below outside although driving 20 miles to work in that weather in a drafty old truck that had a crap heater wasn't fun. I'd say those 65-66 slicks are about the best daily drivers for 60s era pickups that still have a bit of that 50s flare about them. The 67+ Chevy and Fords make good dailies too but they just don't have the same old school feel to them. I had a 63 F100 I drove for a while too that had a 4 speed and a Y-block. The noisy valve train drove me nuts but the truck was very reliable.

Now as far as trying to get a Texas truck for under a grand, yeah not going to happen. I paid $650 for mine, and it's pretty rusted. There is a lot of really bad rust repair on it. It's a sturdy job but I don't consider welding big piece of angle iron to the cab and frame to be a proper repair :eek: Still I figure its worth at least what I paid for it, got a few offers for 800-1200 bucks.

[​IMG]

And yet you wanted $1500 for a busted up crew cab with no glass, rusted to hell, frame cut off behind the frame :rolleyes:

I can't believe you just said you'd scrap something. This is coming from the guy who jumped my ass about telling someone that an obsolete large displacement slow revving 70s era heavy truck engine that has almost zero parts availability would be best used for scrap versus trying to source nonexistent rebuild parts. I don't understand your logic, a junk big truck v8 in a school bus is worth rebuilding but a complete truck is not :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

17. BigChief

BigChief

I put a 4 speed OD box out of an '84 F-150 in my '69 F100 shortbox (also with 3.70 gears) and its a whole lot better than with the three on the tree. These toploader imposters built by Tremec aren't the absolute toughest transmissions out there but they work fine when not abused (ie - used in rock crawlers). The shifter is mounted in the top cover/tower allowing the stick to come through the floor exactly where it belongs.....they work well in cruiser type hotrods too. The gear spacing isn't all that great for all-out acceleration (read - drag racing) but they work well enough for most folks. The trans tags you're looking for say T170FT-RTS. I gained about 4mpg with the swap. I'd still go to a 3.25 rear gear along with the OD box if I wanted to get consistent 20+mpg out on the highway.

18. A Rodder

A Rodder

^^^^^^ nice ^^^^^^

19. For what it's worth, I've decided to sell the F100 in order to get my 54 Ford finished. I hate to let it go, but I just don't have the funds for two oldies right now.

$5200 if anyone's interested.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  20. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

I'd take it if I had cash! Looks like a really nice truck. I just traded a 65 F-100 project for a model A project. The truck was a LOT closer to road worhty than the A body and duece frame, but I've always wanted a tudor.

21. A Model A tudor on a duece frame is a pretty sweet thing. I'm assuming it'll be done up as a highboy.

22. VonKool13

VonKool13

WOW!!!!! You came up!! You should be arrested for theft!:D

23. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I'll give a grand for the truck in a RustyNewYorker heartbeat....:D. Seriously dude that truck is worth more than that down here in the South. In 2010 a guy at Evansville had some bodies that were bringing more than that. I've turned down 2K for my 66 Custom Cab on 3 occasions and mine is good but not that good.

48 Poncho

24. I know this is probably a bit tacky.....but what the heck.

Just wanted to let RustyNewYorker know that my 66 F100 sold....in three days.....for over $5K. I probably could've gotten more.

25. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Damn! Hate to see her go.... Nice truck

26. you and me both....I'm kinda heartbroken over it.

BUT....it gives me the cash to get the 54 Ford on the road, and put an end to my 5 year frame-off redo.

27. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Awesome! I'll check out your build thread. You gonna have her ready for roundup?