Register now to get rid of these ads!

66 Cyclone GT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone GT, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Cyclone GT

Cyclone GT

After a few weeks of inspections and research I finalized the deal for the 66 Cyclone GT today. Should have the car in my garage in a couple weeks. Got a lot of spare parts in the deal. Pretty excited to get the car!

2. so....what are you going to do with it? Hot rod it? or? I can see it with a 427 and a straight axle, maybe an altered wheelbase too.

3. noboD

noboD

Even if it's a Ford I still like them. Is it Wimbleton white?

4. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

Good deal for you. Keep it a FE. Where are you in Indy?? I live out by the airport (west side). I am putting a stroked 390 FE in a '63 boxtop Galaxie in a couple of weeks. I'm planning on doing a little nostalgia racing next summer.
    P.M. or e-mail me with your plans for the Cyclone...maybe we can help with parts or ideas for your build.

5. skidsteer

skidsteer

That was the year a '66 conv was used as the Indy pace car. Is yours one of those?

6. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

I used to live in Indiana and had a 66 in 84-85. Sold it to a guy near Bloomington. It was black and black with a 390 and top loader with a Hurst comp plus. It came with a 3 spd and the guy I bought it from in Indy gave me the 4spd in the deal. He said his son ordered it witht he 3 spd to keep the insurance cost down. I still have the original 3 spd and shifter. It was a great car and one of those you wish you had back.

7. Cyclone GT

Cyclone GT

Thanks for the responses!

applekrate - the car has been restored, some go fast parts, spares are all original to put it back to stock, will probably leave it as is and drive it for now.

noboD - it's deep Maroon, black interior

andysdeuce - I'm just west of Zionsville, would like to get together sometime, car came with a dual quad intake and set of 500 holly's, would like to find out more about these, nostalgia racing sounds great

skidsteer - not a vert

8. Ranchero

Ranchero

I've have '67 Fairlane-Ranchero and the guy I bought it from had a Cyclone and several 66-67 Fairlanes including a 427, 4 spd coupe. If you need any hard to find parts, P/M me and I'll try to dig up the guys number & address (in Ft. Worth). Crites Restoration and Dearborn Classics (expensive) sell a lot of repro stuff. Sounds like a nice car that doesn't need anything though -good luck with it.

9. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I went to school in Las Vegas with a guy whose dad owned a Ford dealership in Texas. He got a new Cyclone GT in '66. The guy was a fair mechanic and did all the common shit that everybody was doing to muscle cars back then.... 2/4bbl intake, cam, headers, Mallory dual point. Raised it up some, Crager s/s mags with Goodyear wrinkle walls on the back. 4:56 Zoom gears. It was a maroon car also... White interior. Tore the streets up pretty well for several years with it. He drove it for 10 years as his only car, which was his goal. Had to replace the clutch/brakeshaft bushing something like 3 or 4 times over the 10 years! A good friend (my boss at the time) and I painted it once around '70 when we worked at a Cadillac shop. Changed it to Madera Plum firemist, pretty close to the Ford color. Did it n lacquer. I remember one time we were driving around and, for no apparent reason the right front spindle broke. did some fancy driving for a few minutes..... draged it home, bought a new spindle and life went on as before..

I needed to go to Loma Linda, Ca one time and didn't think my car would make it so I drove his. Quite a drive with 4:56s:eek:

Even though he kept it in pretty good repair over the years, it still showed it's age by the time he parked in front of his Mom's house. It sat there til the late 80's and one day disappeared. By that time he had moved back to Texas and went to work for his Dad (probably owns the dealership now, if it's still iin business). I often wondered what happened to the Cyclone.... I kinda hoped he wouldv'e snatched it back up and restored it, but, who knows. I have a lot of memories in that thing...

I don't know how many of these things are out there.... They made a lot of Comet GT's, and a lot of Comet Cyclones, but I don't think they made that many Cyclone Gt's. I might be wrong on that... but I think you have a pretty rare car.

Regardless of the rarity, you have a seriously cool muscle car that I loved to have.

rich

10. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Sure would like to see a picture of the car,

(I will cover my head before I say this) I'M not really a Ford guy ,But

I do love the Cyclone GT

11. noboD

noboD

So you used the screen name and put it in your avitar BEFORE you closed the deal? Cyclones are cool.

12. Cyclone GT

Cyclone GT

Yep, knew this one was going to happen.

13. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Was going to buy one new in '66. The same day I went to the dealer for pricing and to check on options that were available I got home and my draft notice was there waitng for me. One of the biggest downers in my life!:(

14. Cyclone GT

Cyclone GT

I bought my 68 Firebird, made 6 payments and was drafted. My old man was pissed I bought the car, found a friend that took over the payments. Remember when you could do that, and business was done with a hand shake and a word!

15. flatjack

flatjack

First new car I ever owned was a 66 Cylcone GT. Put a 429 CJ engine in it in 71. Pretty quick car. Have a lot of Comet parts and literature left. PM me for any specifics you might need.