Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '66 Chevy K10 ignition help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robert Lentz, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Robert Lentz

Robert Lentz

Working on a factory 66 K10 and got it running w/ original 327. Put an NV4500 Transmission w/ Advanced Adapter bell housing. Powermaster high speed starter. Starts up and runs great. Problem I'm having is when i switch the ignition off, power is being bumped back to the solenoid and it sends the bendix back into the flywheel, grinding it briefly. I eliminated the ignition switch, hot wired it and it starts just fine. Unplugged the wires and it shut down fine. Bought a brand new ignition switch, installed it and its doing the same thing, throwing the bendix into the flywheel when shutting down. Any ideas what it could be? Thanks

2. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

Is the alternator feeding the trigger wire? Could the starter need shimming?

Just ideas- Im a mopar guy so...

302GMC likes this.
  3. theboss20

theboss20

The first thing to do is un-plug the alternator wires...not the main battery wire... and then try it...if that works you need an anti-feedback diode for the alternator exciter wire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BJR, tractorguy and 302GMC like this.
  4. Robert Lentz

Robert Lentz

Okay thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try and report back.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alternator shouldn't be an issue on that one as it came with one from the factory.
    If the resistor bypass wire was put on the wrong side that may cause a feedback and energise the solenoid after the key is shut off and the engine is still spinning.
    Does the starter have the second R pole on the solenoid ?
    I'd think that most of that style go on electronic ignition cars and trucks that don't have a need for a resistor bypass and if you did hook the bypass up wrong there lies your problem.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  6. Robert Lentz

Robert Lentz

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried them and the diode on the exciter wire was the trick. Shuts off as it should. Thanks again

theboss20 likes this.