Register now to get rid of these ads!

66 chev pickup C10

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by LARRY R PEDERSEN, Aug 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. LARRY R PEDERSEN

LARRY R PEDERSEN

At 48 MPH I am turning 3000 rpm what can I specifically to reduce rpm and increase MPH...this is a standard 3 speed on the tree, V8 any suggestions would be welcome ...I am a

2. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Welcome from Indiana Larry. People around here will help but you are slightly outside the year range here (H.A.M.B. rules are ‘65 and older). But still list more details so they can help. Tire size and axle ratio is a good starting point. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Unique Rustorations likes this.
  4. catdad49

catdad49

These trucks were geared more for short hauls, so a rear axle ratio change may be in order. Also, these trucks came with relatively tall tires, so if it has tires of less 27" tall that could be an issue. More specs./pics would help.

5. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I believe that year had either the 250 or 270 six cylinder engine and they were good running engines so unless they have major problems they should perform well for you unless you plan on racing the truck. As already stated you need something like the 3:55 ratio rear end ratio (not 411) and tire sizes of around 28.5" diameter OR larger to get better millage. OR an overdrive tranny. My avitar photo here is of the 235 CI chevy engine in my 46 Chevy coupe. Original set up was the 216 engine with a 411 rear end & 600 16 tires. Changed out engine to 235 six cylinder and rear end to truck ring & pinion with 355 ratio and rear tires and gas millage went from 16 at 55 MPH to just over 20 MPG at 65 MPH with original 3 on the tree tranny. That included boring the 235 engine to 0.060 over with hot cam and dual 2 bbl carbs & headers. I got rear ended last year and due to circumstances it will likely be next year before I can get it back on the road. Good luck with yours. Jimmie