Register now to get rid of these ads!

'66 Buick traditional 60s style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fory, May 2, 2012.

1. screwball

screwball

this was my old 66 olds beater for a few years. It was a $500.00 car

Attached Files:

2. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Well It's been a while since I did the Redlines (they're not on the car anymore, obviously, but I kept one for a spare), so for those who asked they held up OK.... Not great, but not terrible either. I detail my car about once a week, just clean it up with a micro- fibre cloth and clean the tires, so I would reapply the red every time I clean the tires. They faded pretty quick otherwise... Next time I do em I'm going to use red One-Shot instead of a Sharpie. I've done white walls with one shot that held up good. All in all, I would say try it on an old set of tires you don't care about and see how it works for you, but i would do It differently next time around.

3. large-stache

large-stache

Nice car, I love 60's GM's .You could always tell everyone its a 64, kind like the guys with 65-67 Chevy trucks do( wink, wink)

4. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

LOL thanks, man! I've got her into a couple shows so far no questions asked. I figure as long as your not trying to get a Camaro or something into a show like that most people don't mind. Is rather look at period 60s cars than 80s style 30s cars anyways....

5. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Took some good pictures of 'er finally!! Hopefully she's gonna go under the gun this weekend.... after the rot around the windows is fixed of coarse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

7. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I'm wanting to do a custom grill in this thing, too... a tube grill would be kool and period looking (maybe 5/8th inch stainless??), but then I started looking at all the different perforated sheet metal patters at the hardware store. What do you guy think, would a mesh grill took weird in a 60s car like this? I'm digging this one with a kinda starburst pattern.....

8. I like those old Buicks, I had a 65 Wildcat one owner car with a 401 Nailhead,really neat old car. I sold mine some of those parts can get really pricey. Checked on a drag link though Rare Parts 450.00. Thought I needed to sell it. The only things MOOG sells for it is a sway bar link and some A-Frame bushings.

9. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I haven't run into too much hard to find or expensive parts yet... Tie rods, bushings, etc. are all available through my local Napa at pretty decent prices... It helps that the parts guy there actually takes the time to look through the books though! He's even been able to find stuff for my Packard that the other two parts stores in the area won't even bother with....

10. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Put 'em white primer over the weekend! Shaved all the emblems off as well... Decided to keep the ventiports for now and do blue metal flake where the black was stock. I'm gonna go take pictures in a few. Also thinkin on doing some temporary rattle can scallops on there til I get around to painting it. The whole car needs to come down to bare metal anyways to get rid of all the old cracked paint (my paint guy said it looks like they did enamel over lacquer when It was painted before)...

11. lrlforfun

lrlforfun

OK Fory: My white 66 Lesabre needed it's first set of replacement tires in the fall of 69. I asked my Father if he would go for the red strips and to my surprise he agreed. After a few years of bombing this thing around I had a flat and put on the original ww spare. I wouldn't admit it but I really thought it looked so much better than the red lines. I still like it better. Mitch

12. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I have to agree with you man!! I liked the red line look when i tried it, but now that a got new white stripe tires Im much happier with the look... Do you have any pics of your '66?? I'd love to see it!!

13. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Ok, almost got the scallops done (just the rear fenders are left) so I went out and took some pics last night. What do ya think??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]