Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods .

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chucky, Dec 30, 2011.

1. rustang

rustang

Closing in on that body... looking great! The engine work will be much more fun... :)

My body work starts in November, I need to start breaking the truck back down (assembled this summer to run in the engine and make sure it drives straight) need to fill the LP for heat, and break out the bondo...LOL... a long fun filled winter of pulling dents and sanding.... :)

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Those 30's Mopars with their front spring perch bulges were nice cars, but the bulges were hiddeous! They really looked like a wart on those nice frontends! Looks much better with them gone!

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

If that ain't music to a Dads ears I don't know what is. My Dad started teaching me when I was ten or so and I will be forever grateful. If only he'd let me have my grandma's 54 Chevy... :D

4. Way cool! I love it.

5. n847

n847

Theres something awesome about the feeling of cutting up perfectly "good" brand new parts. It gives the parts and the car character! Keep it up. I wanna see some of that engine "slicing"!

6. Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Looks plenty beefy now! You can always slide a cheater bar on the cherry picker if ya need it later! :)
    I remember when my son was about 3 yrs. old and told my wife he wanted to see what I was doing in the garage. She let him go to see, and when I turned to reach for a tool he was laying under the car beside me with a big grin on his face. Had to stop what I was doing and get out from under the car so I could give him a big hug! He's 42 now, but I still remember it like yestrday.

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Looks much better with the new steering!
    On the kids thing. I found an old toolbox when my son was small and gathered up a few of my old tools to put in it. Painted the box bright red, and put his name on it. He always brought HIS tools out whenever I worked on the car, and had his own shelf in the garage to store his tools on.
    Of course I had to tell him that tools weren't used on the body and paint!

9. Roger53

Roger53

I've been following along on your build . I think you've done a bang up job.:) And your steering looks much better.:DKeep the post a goin ! :) Roger

10. Beau

Beau

DANG!

Sorry to hear man.

One of my clubmates is pulling his 350 out of the Gasser Corvair ad putting some 400 into it. It's minus the heads and a few other things, but I can ask if he wants to sell it.

11. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Are you going to put a big No. 5 on the door?

12. farmer12

farmer12

WOW, I never realised you had gone through so many engines! At least you won't have any worries with this new one. Good luck with the build of it.

13. Texas Mopars

Texas Mopars
    from Texas

Awesome work! I would love to find a similar body to drop my early Hemi in!

14. n847

n847

I love the script VC's...I'd like to have a set or two! Just so I could switch up from time to time! I'd really like to get a set for my 283 when ever I get back around to it! I think the straight ended ones are better too! Are you gonna section them to make em clear big ole honkin rockers?

15. n847

n847

plumbid....Why does the water pump boss on your SBC look different than normal? Is that something changed by the aftermarket manufacturer. It just looks different than normal. I can't quite place it?

Attached Files:

16. linkstar69

linkstar69

17. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its coming together nicely. I feel for you on the engine deals. There are too many people that work on engines (or deal them) that shouldn't be allowed near one. I was able to stop all the bullshit when I built this. Now I know what I am getting and people can be confident in what I am selling. Again, looking good and like you said, sometimes the lessons can be chalked up to a learning experience.

[​IMG]

18. Chuck, things are looking great! I'll have to stop over some time and check it out in person!

19. n847

n847

I agree theres nothing more fun than assembeling a nice clean engine but you always have that feeling in the pit of your stomach for the first few hours on the engine!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

20. farmer12

farmer12

Progression is great to say the least!

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I never get over the nervousness of a new engine build. I've done a lot, and I'm careful, but it's still that initial startup and breakin that makes me think, "If this thing comes apart, I've got nobody to blame but me!"
    Sometimes I thnk the crate engine route with a warranty makes more sense, but then I remember how nice it is to know what's in an engine I assemble. I've got 13 yrs. on my 427 now, and I still smile when I fire it up, and it sounds so good.

22. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Building your own engine is not for the fainthearted or careless, thats for sure. As long as all work is done correctly there isn't any need to worry, though the first few days one tends to check for leaks, noises etc a bit more often than usual.
    And I absolutely agree that there is a certain amount of satisfaction in hearing my own engines or seeing a customers car going to down the road or drag strip and knowing every piece inside that motor. Started building engines in 1974 and I'll continue until I can't hold a torque wrench.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  23. kennkat

kennkat

Very cool old Hot Rod!!

24. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Sometimes you can drill a pilot hole for the hole saw, and then use a pin instead of the pilot drill or turn the drill around so when you drill the little pilot drill is not able to walk.

25. rustang

rustang

I would have been nervous as heck drilling into my manifold...looking great!
    Tom

26. n847

n847

looks good...I want to do that on my polished intake for my 283!

27. Car

Car
    from the desert

This gasser is gonna be awesome. cool build!

28. n847

n847

What no beef jerkey?

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've been gone on fall hunting trip for the last week, and seems you've been pretty busy with the engine! Nice work on the oil fill!