Register now to get rid of these ads!

65 fairlane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6t5frlane, Dec 8, 2004.

1. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Gotta say I'm glad I finally joined the HAMB. You guys are a wealth of info and inspiration. Have a 65 fairlane ( yeah the lunchbox sytle ! ) and it now has a 302, 4-speed. Looking maybe to do the gasser look ala T-Bolt type. Any thoughts. I do not want a straightaxle and have seen front end lift kits, but I'm a little worried about that. I do not have a digital camera yet ( santa ?? ) but if you guys have any pics or thoughts that would be great...Thanks...Geoff

2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Welcome aboard!

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I don't have my book here, but as I recall didn't T-bolt Fairlanes run A/FX or SS/S? Also, by '65 didn't they make a factory production big-block Fairlane called the GT?

In any case, sounds like you've got a fun project. Although my temptation would be to stay with the four-speed and get one of those 327 or 347 stroker kits. Kinda like the performance car they should've built in the early days.

4. CruZer

CruZer

Welcome. Where abouts in New York? Anything you do to raise the front is going to cause handling issues,but,hey, if it's got "the look" who cares ???? [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Satinblack

Satinblack

Welcome to the hamb! I too have a 65 Fairlane. And no they didnt make a big block one that year, only a 289 hipo car. Its a very overlooked year, being a one year body style. Satin

6. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Ah, and here I thought '64 was the last year for the small-block-only cars. I learn something new every day.

What I still want to see is a Mercury Meteor done up right.

7. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

1966 was the first year for the big block 390 car. A few 427's were also made. 66 was also the first year for th GT. Before that it was called a Sport Coupe. In 64 Ford made 100 Thunderbolts to go drag racing all 427 cars. Most people do not know that 1 thats ONE 65 Thunderbolt was also made. By 65 Ford was running Mustangs. The idea of a stroker might be a good one since I do not want to chop my shock towers.Anybody have any pics of 65's for ideas???....Thanks....Geoff P.S. I'm in Rockland Cty NY [​IMG]

8. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Welcome .The SS Fairlane sounds neat. I'm sure you could put 2" risers on your balljoints,for the "Look'. The SS cars didn't run straight axles,only the FXer's or Gassers. Sparky

Attached Files:

9. Welcome to the Hamb. '65 two door sport coupes are cool, the four doors suck. I had one in high school- hardly anything you can do to improve them. Had mine crushed after I yanked the 289.
    Dan

10. Here's about as good as you can do.

Attached Files:

11. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

This one is a 2dr hardtop. Turquise green with a white top saddle interior with American Mags....I've seen only 1 other 65 at any shows or cruises. One guy told me it was a canadian car! Thats whats so Freakin kool about it. Still lookin for ideas

12. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

WOW Now thoses are sweet cars. I think I've seen that light blue one before in some magazine. think it was a 289 hi po car ( less then 100 built in 65 ). That gasser 63?? is way cool. How hard to put the straight axle on a unibody car? Any issues with that?

13. brianf31

brianf31

Here's a few pictures of mine.

Attached Files:

14. brianf31

brianf31

351C power after chopping the shock towers. Everything else from a small block bolts right up. Headers are non-existent, though.

Crites Restoration (www.critesrestoration.com) sells all the Tbolt conversion pieces to mount an FE or 460 in the '65: teardrop hood, f'glass bumper, engine mounting, headers, etc.

Attached Files:

15. brianf31

brianf31

Last shot. It's for sale: I need to finish my A coupe.

PM me if you need any advice on parts sources, etc.

Attached Files:

16. Jimv

Jimv

he 65! I use to live in Rockland, Pomona/Mt.ivy area!! Quaker road.
    jimV

17. Welcome to the HAMB...as you can see, there's lots of like minded weirdos here. VonTingler is scary, so watch out. This is what he looks like on the weekends...

Attached Files:

18. Crease

Crease

Welcome!

I drove a 65' Fairlane in college. I loved that car. Do you have the wicked green interior?

19. Dirty2

Dirty2

Welcome !!! I love those cars !!!

20. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

The car has a saddle colored interior. Hey I know where Quaker rd in Pomona is . About 10 minutes from my house. Ever go to Kruckers for a picnic or party ??? I take pomona rd to get there. Brian thats a nice Fairlane. I'm thinking about disk brakes. I've seen a couple of articles on the switch. Did you use that guy Mustang Steves adapter for the tie rod end??? I was thinking about using the Crites Tear Drop hood and fabricating some ram air through the inner headlights. Thanks

21. Satinblack

Satinblack

Actually that pic of the 65 hipo is shown with an article at woody's fairlane site. Mine is the aqua metallic with the aqua/teal interior, although mine is the hard to find fairlane 500 2 dr post. Satin

22. burger

burger

Here's a shot of my old Fairlane... it was my daily driver thru college.

Attached Files:

23. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I like it in black. Was that a crites hood on the car?? Can you tell memore about it. Disk brakes???

24. prime mover

prime mover

I put a crites hood and front bumper on my 64 you wont find better quality.

25. burger

burger

[ QUOTE ]
    I like it in black. Was that a crites hood on the car?? Can you tell memore about it. Disk brakes???

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and yes.

Like others have said, the hood was of very good quality. If I had it to do over again I would have installed a plain fiberglass hood, as lots of rain ended up on the engine, turning it into a ratty mess in no time.

When I bought the hood, I also bought tie rod ends from Crites' that allowed me to use Granada spindles and the stock tie rods. I forget the exact reasoning why, but that's the easiest way to go. The swap was straightforward otherwise. Spindles came from eBay and everything else from the local autoparts store. You can find recipes for the swap all over the web.

Attached Files:

26. brianf31

brianf31

You can do the disc swap a lot cheaper by getting the individual pieces. I bought the brake swap parts list from Crites, but there's no need for you to do it. Here's what you need:

'75-'80 Granada/Monarch spindles, rotors, calipers, pads, brackets, flex brake lines, dust shields

'85 Bronco II MANUAL master cylinder

'72 LTD outer tie rod ends - adapts Granada spindle to '65 tie rod sleeve (prolly different for P/S 65's-mine is manual)

About any old disc/drum proportioning valve: I robbed mine off an '83 Tbird.

Use '65 ball joints.

I found that I had to lengthen my m/c rod a little. Brakes work great. They feel like something inbetween manual and power. And it will lock 'em up.

When I ordered my front suspension rebuild kit from PST, I had them swap out the '65 tie rod ends for the '72 LTD pieces. Go ahead and get new inner tie rods, too.

27. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Hey thanks Brian, thats a complete list for the swap.Any idea what the parts from the auto parts store cost? I have seen new kits but there like 800 bucks or more.Brian are you familiar with the adapter that Ed tals about from Crites? Ed that black 65 looks killer. Did you say you sold it? Thanks ..Geoff

28. swazzie

swazzie

Hey frlane , welcome aboard .Had one of those .It was a rotted forest green with a hipo.Which they made a few more than a hundred of.It was after all the performance motor for the car that year.If ya wanna GAS it then shit do it .Those cars had a short wheel base that already made em sort of squirley anyway .Guess you'll just have to learn how to drive .Good luck and post pics once ya get that santa thing figured out.swaZZie

29. poncho

poncho

welcome 6t5fairlane..my pops had a bunch of '65 sportcoupes as daily drivers in South Africa ,,and when we moved to b.c he had 7 at one time,,,i had a 4 dr for while in highschool,,beat it to death,,i know of a wagon in town here thats for sale but the only problem is i have nowhere to put it.. one day i'll have a killer little sportcoupe for a daily driver,,they really are a kool looking car..