Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 65 Chevy G10 Axle hold up to Wheelstands?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69fury, Dec 8, 2014.

?
  1. Not Likely, OEM stuff is stout

50.0%
  2. Maybe

50.0%
  3. Probably

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Eventually, if you go sky high multiple times..

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 69fury

69fury

After reading about some gassers that have bent their straight axles at the track from wheelstand launches, I noticed that they were all straight tube-style and not original I beams. I'm sure that many have bent an I beam, i just dont know how prevalent it is.

I'm not against a thick wall tube axle, but a few decades ago, someone put a 65 Chevy G10 Van axle in this Falcon gasser, so that's what I'm running.

Maybe I'm deluding myself, but I think i'll have the power and the traction for a serious launch.

My question:
    Is it inevitable that the axle will bend at some point? -thanks-Rick

2. squirrel

squirrel

how does the section modulus compare to a tube axle? My guess it's a little bit larger.

3. oldolds

oldolds

You do enough wheelstands something is going to bend or break sometime. Wherever it is the weakest.

4. I suppose if you try hard enough to bend one you can. Anything can be broken ( or bent).

There are a lot of other things in your suspension/chassis that are going to be weaker then the axle unless your particular axle is flawed.

5. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Structurally speaking, a horizontally installed I beam with the same weight per foot and the same vertical height will be considerably stronger than a (round) tube when loaded vertically. However it will have no where near the torsional rigidity (a beam will twist easily, a tube will not). Torsional rigidity is not a concern with an axle if you have wishbones or 4 link radius rods. 3 link like a sprint car would not work well with a beam, but that is not the subject here.

Also, the closer your springs are mounted to the spindles, the more vertical load the axle will stand before bending. If you can get enough travel and strong enough springs to keep it from bottoming, you should not have a problem.

I'm well aware that my 2 cents worth are not worth more than about 2 cents (same as nothing). ha,ha

6. $.02 will still buy a penny candy and that's good in any (grown up) little kids sweaty little hand. :D

Fabber . . .,
    End of the day whomever usually listens to the advice that they like the best anyway. ;)

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you saw what Texas ranchers and hill country farmers put them through, you wouldn't ask. You will break your back before you break the axle.

8. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418438545.770574.jpg
    This is how I make a tube axle strong. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418438616.108284.jpg

WACCUSTOMS.COM
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

Probably helps, but it doesn't put the metal where it really needs to be. above and below the tube. Or use a larger diameter tube

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I haven't figured it out via Machinery Handbook recently but years ago I think I found a Square tube would be stronger than a round tube, same wall, same od in vertical and horizontal direction where as a round tube would be not quite as strong but the same strength in all directions...A beam axle is built like a beam because its most strength is needed in a vertical plain....

11. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418474952.200812.jpg
    I am 100% with you on the larger diameter. I made this one for Mike
    2.5 .312 wall moly axle ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418475168.217118.jpg
    It's not just the axle it's the hole set up. Good shocks that don't bottom out. Progressive bump stops.

WACCUSTOMS.COM

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. aaggie

aaggie

Wheel stands may look impressive but the truth is maximum traction and hook up will win races. 60 foot times is where you need to concentrate for lowering the E.T. Just barely getting the wheels up will be your best bet and you won't break parts.

13. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Very True but most guys are lucky to get in the 10s and if you are going to drive that slow you have to do it with style!!! wheels up dragging bumpers

WACCUSTOMS.COM

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  14. Nostalgia gasser ladder bars and the physics of instant center and anti-squat.

Your right, there's a lot of power lifting the chassis that could be redirected into forward acceleration.

Now all you gotta do is decide what class you want to run in.

I thought this was about axles?
    Bcchopit said it best, its the whole set up working together for the landing.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

You'll break some other suspension/frame component before you ever break an I beam style axle. You might "bend" one a little, but break, never. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.