Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 65 Cadillac - 429 Header install?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 425 Dual Quad, Feb 18, 2017.

1. 425 Dual Quad

425 Dual Quad
    from Ireland

Hi All,

My exhaust manifolds are cracked and blowing so bad I'm going to have to remove the engine to repair them. I typically can't get at 3 or so of the bolts holding the manifolds on - they seem an odd size? Should be 3/8".

My question -this will the second time I've welded them up. So Sanderson Headers? Has anybody tried them? I'm aware of the requirement to fab an alternator bracket but do they fit OK or is it a case of out of the frying pan into the fire? More torque and pickup would be good but not at the expense of noise either. I also don't want to find I have to modify the starter/ steering linkage/ brake lines etc to make them fit. Has anybody done it and what is the advice please?

How tight are they to the driver’s side and do they need modifying? I don’t really want to get into that.
    Secondly why does the stock exhaust route the way it does? Seems a poor design for gas flow to me. I was thinking of a common dual system with an H pipe after the transmission would be a lot better for flow and torque. Any advice please?

Finally, normally when I take an engine out I at least open it up to see what it is like and replace the basics like oil pump, water pump, timing chain and gears, check the valves and clean out and possibly port the heads, clean out the sump pan, clean the pickup thoroughly, redo the timing cover and crank seals etc. This engine runs well and I'm tempted to do the minimal to it - it's always been an 'on the button engine' so don't want to disturb it too much. But any advice of what to address whilst it is out please?

Thanks all, Nick in Ireland

2. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I know the Sanderson headers will fit a 64 429,I think the 65 would be pretty close.The stock exhaust in those cars was NOT designed with power output in mind! If you use the Sanderson headers you will have to fabricate a complete headpipe\muffler\tailpipe setup.Your description of the system you have in mind sounds fine.As far as the engine I would replace the timing chain and gears because those came with the aluminum\nylon gear that is, IME a failure looking for a place to happen.

3. 425 Dual Quad

425 Dual Quad
    from Ireland

Yes indeed - the 429's the same engine but the engine bay looks wider in a '65 (I have a '63 too). Was concerned about interference issues from steering, brakes etc.
    Yep - nylon timing gears - been there on a 472 in a '68 Fleetwood.
    Do the Sanderson headers at least come with collectors?

4. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can probably get to the bolts if you unbolt the motor mounts on side at a time..I would also put blocks of wood under it while your working....and in my honest opinion, just buy a goose pair of stock manifolds ....