Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 65 bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roaddog, Aug 14, 2016.

1. roaddog

roaddog

hey everybody i haven't been here for a while,i had a 52 pontiac i built from a 4 door and made it kustom over an 8 year period,every winter doing a little more till i traded for a 63 ford wagon.i kept that a few years then sold that i now i got this sweet 65 bonneville that i want to put my own twist on it as time goes on,i am looking for some advice on swapping out the drums on the front to discs so any info would be appreciated,thanks roaddog!!

Attached Files:

2. I did this with my one of these in the 1980s - same model and body style. From memory I was able to source a pair of front uprights, complete with hubs and disc brakes, from a 1970s B body car and just swapped them at the ball joints. I think they might have been Chevrolet ones because we had to alter the bolt pattern. At that time, that sort of stuff was not readily available in NZ so I took what I could get. Changed to a new aftermarket dual circuit master cylinder while I was on the go. I wonder if some from a '70s Pontiac will do the same job?
    Still have the car but it has been in hibernation for 20 years. My kids want to get it going again so maybe sometime in the not too distant future...

3. joe clotfelter

joe clotfelter

lower it and call it done there is nothing wrong with drum brakes

504640 likes this.
  4. 504640

Forget about the disc, Roaddog! Find a set of correct 8 lug wheels with integral aluminum hubs. With a cool ride like that you don't need to be ridin' up on peoples ass!

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Find somebody with a '57 Olds that needs tires & wheel covers, use the $$ to buy a set of 15'' American Torque Thrusts & some blackwall radials. Loose the skirts & drop it 4'' at least ...
    There's nothing wrong with drums provided some "tech" doesn't start screwing around with parts not covered in his "training."

6. Nice looking ride!Bruce.

7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

That might look ok, but if he did that, he would need to find trim for the rear wheel well opening, I hate when people pop the skirts off and dont put trim back on the wheel well to replace them if its suppose to have trim.. I think what you mentioned would probably look good but would make it a different style car...............and besides he only brought this thing in for a brake job, not a overhaul:D

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

That's where I was headed ....