Register now to get rid of these ads!

65-66 impala wagon 9 passenger gas tank straps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stumpuller, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Stumpuller

Stumpuller

my gas tank is on the drivers side and sits vertically behind the tire inside the body panels. the foot well for the 3rd seat is where the tank would normally go. so this tank and straps are specific to this car for 65 and 66 for the 9 passenger car.

ive never dropped the tank on the car. i was driving up the hill in front of the house and it stalled. raise the hood and the glass filter is empty. what gives? the tank rocked back and pinched the fuel line as near as i can figure. the tank now rocks a little.

but i can see where there is only one strap on the tank. the seam on the tank runs vertically and is only flattend out in the middle for a strap. does it just hold it tight against a bracket on the top or what. anyone have one or seen one? only 1 strap? any ideas?

2. I had a 6-passenger Belair and the tank was in the same place. Mine rocked around for years. Gas station attendents would freak at times and refuse to fill it, lol.

It did break the hose at the top of the tank, it was dry rotted and just fell apart one day. The line was sucking air instead of fuel. So I bet yours is the same way as mine was. It took a short section of 5/16" fuel hose and 2 clamps to fix it. Deffo was a bit of a bugger to reach, but didn't have to drop the tank.

My brother had a tank DROP out on him while driving a '68 Impala wagon and was stuck on the Parkway. The towing service dumped the full tank of gas on the grass, they wouldn't transport that and the car any other way.

Bob