Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 64 wildcat 425 auto

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by desotot, Jun 17, 2018.

1. desotot

desotot

So I acquired a 64 wildcat with the st 400 trans. I have had it on the hoist and looked underneath to check the shift linkage and everything looks stock. The engine is a 425 with the 400 trans. The car has a bucket seat interior and a factory console with a tach. The weird thing is the car has a two speed shifter. Just P R N D L. I haven't disconnected the shifter to see how many positions I can feel on the trans shifter shaft but I was wondering if any one here had any input about this. I have heard the 64 st400 was improved on by 1965. Thanks Jack

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Allow me a little c&p here:

All Turbo Hydra-Matics covered, except for the '64 400, have six gearshift positions."

"The '64 400 is completely different. Although it has three forward speeds, just as do all later 400s, you have no way of selecting intermediate range manually. The quadrant reads, from left to right, P,R,N,D, and L." He proceeds to detail that when the shifter is placed in "L" below 20mph, manual "Low" is selected. If the shifter is placed in "L" above 20mph, then you get "intermediate" or second gear, but if the speed drops below 20mph, an automatic (speed-related) downshift into "L" will occur. In his mention of the 1964 THM400 P-R-N-D-L shift quadrant, there is no mention of it being "Buick, incl. Riviera" or otherwise, just as being unique to the 1964 THM400-equipped vehicles.

chubbie, desotot and Hnstray like this.
  3. desotot

desotot

Thankyou,good explanation, I guess that also explains the change in 65. I wonder if there are any downfalls in reliability compared to the 65 and up st 400.

4. indyjps

indyjps

Lets see the car. Whats the gameplan.

desotot likes this.

5. desotot

desotot

I'll try to get a pic but the car is quite rusty. However it runs and drives good and has factory tilt with those big gm buckets so I see a donor car.I just need a project car that needs donorization. Guess I'm on the hunt again. I need a 39 Ford coupe, or was that a deuce, maybe another Model A. I did come across another Merc but I haven't heard how many denarius it will take to make it mine.

6. Just as Mark said, it is a 3 speed trans, with a 2 speed-like shifter. The 64 is a one year only valve body, 65-up are common. The 64 is not bad, and being a nailhead pattern makes it good. The 64 ST400 is a considerable improvement over the dynaslow used previously behind nailheads. Just beware if you rebuild it that the valve body is different, but the other major rebuild parts are common to the 65-up T400s.

desotot likes this.
  7. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Every body gives the Dynaflo hell but I had a 62 Electra that would spin rubber forever. I have to agree that the 400 is better though.