Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 Thunderbird Question... Not for me.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

This lady was asking me for help because I'm into "old cars".
    She has a 1964 Thunderbird and the transmission went south. I think its a CruiseOMatic, right?
    Question is, can she put a less expensive trans in there, like a C4 or C6?
    Any help is appreciated.

jay

2. That trans should BE a C6, albeit a Cruise-O-Matic version, which just means that it starts in second if placed in the first drive position. Which, BTW, is why she burned out second gear band. IF you read the owners manual, you will find out that the position to use is the SECOND drive position, which will allow the car to start in first gear.
    Now, why are we not rebuilding that trans, or did the trans shop pull the wool well and firmly over her eyes, and convince her that that was an old and rare trans which needs thousands of dollars to work properly?? That trans probably just needs a second band, adn maybe a clutch pack.
    Been there, done that,
    Cosmo

3. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Hollander's Interchange says any Cruise-O-matic from a 390 powered '61-'64 Ford/Merc/Thunderbird will fit her Thunderbird. In '66, a C6 was available in the Thunderbird. The problem is that C6 was exclusive to that year Thunderbird. I thought that C6 would fit the '64 Thunderbird since that year is so similar to the '66. It probably would fit with some modifications, but Hollander's never gets into that sort of detail. It only covers direct fits. So, her best bet may be fixing what's in her car or locating a functioning '61-'64 Cruise-O-matic. Hope this helps! [​IMG]

4. The difference is the valve body. Cruise-O-Matics do not allow for simple shifting of the ratios, where Select-Shift trans DO. But it's all in the valve body.
    Cosmo

5. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Thanks for the info Cosmo-- I'll pass it along to her!

jay