Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 64 Riviera dual master cylinder conversion?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mojo, May 26, 2020.

1. Mojo

Mojo

I'm redoing the brake lines on my 64 Riviera, and I want to convert to a dual chamber master cylinder. Currently have stock drum brakes. I understand I can use a 67 Buick master cylinder. I was thinking of using 65 Impala looped lines from the MC to an impala junction block.

Is there a better setup to go with? The larger line goes to the rear? Should I add 10lbs hold off valves? Thanks for info and tips.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A quick check shows that 67 does have a dual master cylinder.
    One thing to watch for is the depth of the recess for the pushrod in the piston on the replacement. Depending on who supplied the original master cylinder when the 67's were new there can be a difference in depth and length of pushrod.
    Looking at Rock Auto at least some 67 Buicks had disk brakes.
    For going dual master cylinder on Drum/drum rigs I have used the drum brake master cylinder for 68 C 10 Chevy pickups several times with good luck. The same Cylinder fits most full size 67/70 full size drum brake Chevy cars along with the Trucks.

3. It may be wise to stay Buick with the master. You need to match up the back of the masters if you want to use your booster. Or swap in a later GM master and booster combo. At the worst you will have to match up the rod from the pedal. You do not need residual valves.