Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 ranchero build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sarahSERENADE, Mar 7, 2020.

1. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

It is a 302. Have a c4 trans with it as well. It's going to be a fun build!
    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Sorry I didn't post last night everyone, had a real late night of cleaning the motor last night. I was in the garage until almost midnight. I'm still cleaning. Not exactly what I would call"exciting" but it kills a lot of time. There is a lot caked on so it's quite the process. I do not have pictures just for the face of how boring this really is... Hope you guys don't mind!

3. It’s okay Sarah. Not everyone here is keen to post pictures of cleaning up.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. No problem girl, do what you have to do. ;):)

5. We're not trying to hold you to posting pictures every day. I'm sure you have a life outside of working on your car...........Don.:)

6. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Lol suuurrreeee

7. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

So... Today had a very unexpected turn of events.. we dug into the motor a little and had an oops. My husband and I were taking the heads off and it had a metal gasket.. it went through his finger.. needless to say, 5 stitches and 3 hours later we got no further. Just thankful he is ok and we didn't have to go to ER in these crazy times. Hopefully tomorrow is better. I know things will be delayed do to the massive amount of clean up I have to do outside. Just hope no one comes over and sees the mess before I get a chance to actually clean it because it looks really bad. So yet again, I leave you guys with no physical images, just mental. And I feel bad for that right now... But it's a legit excuse

Better luck next time.

8. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Probably looks like a crime scene, lol. Blood all over tools and the floor. Great story for later though!

9. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

blood sweat and tears...dont ever forget the blood!

mad mikey, sarahSERENADE and loudbang like this.
  10. Be careful. It's not a good time to have to go to the ER or God forbid to require hospitalization.

11. I hope his hand heals up ok.
    And I love to see the progress you're making, but don't stress about your posts. All in due time.

12. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After I got done tearing apart a stuck flathead my shop looked like a grease bomb went off in it and it seemed like every tool in the box had been used and was covered with oil/grease. Add to it old man skin where I bleed like a stuck pig just thinking about bumping into something and its not a pretty picture. So I certainly know where you're coming from. With all this in mind I'm dreading cleaning up the 302 and AOD combo that I'm prepping for the test install into my '54 Ranch Wagon. As a transplanted Pensylvanian I enjoy your threads. Thanks for taking the time to post.

13. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

yes, you are very true. Luckily we have an extremely close urgent care that was open at the time. They were able to get him fixed up with no ER involved. Had it happened any later and I would have been sweating big time. They had a big sign out front saying that they will not deal with anyone who has any flu like symptoms, which made me feel better.

14. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

I definitely appreciate that, I take this time to reflect on what i did during the day.. more like therapy for me and meditation. helps me sum things up before I go to bed. you guys help me stay focused and I enjoy it. I wasn't sure how this would go considering I'm not one to stay on top of things like this, but so far its kept me on track and focused. hoping today goes better than yesterday tho!

15. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

I have owned every style of Falcon except '60-'61 and '70... one of every body style too...you can use virtually every piece from a '65-'66 Mustang for your V8 conversion. I liked to scrounge up the orig. Falcon mtr. mnts and a ('65 V8 Falcon/Comet only) centrelink (manual is available aftermarket) hooked to your stock box (man.) and the rest Mustang parts (pitman etc.)..whatever you do DON'T use Mav/Com/Granada spindles...use '65-66 Mustang spindles they have the correct ackermann angle and were the same for disc or drum...choices for rear end are: 8" Maverick/Comet 2:73 0r 3:00 (bolt in with 66 Must spring plates) , Mustang II (4 lug but came with 3:50) or '66 stang (a bit wide) or for 9" 1957 Fairlane (relocate spring mounts)...'66 V8 radiator etc. etc. here are a couple good threads: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/falcons-done-right.80033/and https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/doing-falcons-right.281142/
    if you find a Mav/Com for the rear axle remember to grab the brake distribution brass block same goes with '67 Mustnag (they're either disc/drum or drum/drum) and use a '67-'72 dual pot master with your stock pushrod...lastly if your donor is a 4dr. Mav/Com the driveshaft is a bolt in

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  16. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Thank you, I will definitely be checking that out! Trying to take it step by step, but I will definitely be looking into it!

17. boutlaw

boutlaw

subscribed, youre doing an awesome job, glad to see some love for the Gen 2 Falcon Rancheros. Lots of smart folks on the HAMB to help with any problems that will arise. Its great your Dad is involved too. Ive always loved the 64-65 Rancheros and have been where you're going with the build. Ive been racing mine now for about 3 years. Welcome to the HAMB, Happy belated Birthday, and keep working, you'll be driving in no time.
    battlefield 2019.jpg

18. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Hello guys! I know it's been a few (very long) days but I'm finally back. With my husbands finger still in stitches it has been a long and excruciating week. I have been working on the Ranchero as much as I can be, but there is only so much I can do considering the circumstances. Juggling my projects, my husband, and son.. things have been delayed. I enjoy taking it easy to be completely honest. Anyway, to catch everyone up on where we are: we got sheet metal for the rest of the floor we needed to replace, we made templates for the toe boards and support caps, and we metal formed them leaving as much as the original metal as we can. Tonight I got them completely formed for welding into the car. We ran out of gas for the welder, so tomorrow we will be going to get more, whether or not we actually get to weld them in is up to times sake. I also have the support caps made as well but they will need to be formed as we are welding due to their unique shape. I must say, it has been quite the process.... We have also been tearing down the motor to see where we stand with it. Its been mostly cleaning so far... but we are making progress and that's what matters. Sorry to disappoint with a lack of pictures, but it's literally midnight right now and I just came inside from the garage, I'm exhausted. Plus I didn't take any... my bad.

I'm sure you guys have NEVER had a night like this ;)

19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You will learn to laugh at those who say "Slap some patch panel in it and slap some paint on 'er" folks, if you haven't learned already. A lot of work goes into these things, it's a good thing they are fun when done.

mad mikey, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  20. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

yeah, unfortunately this was the whole floor.. the ENTIRE. FREAKING. FLOOR. They make the toe boards for it, but for the amount of rust that was in it vs the price of what they wanted for them... it wasn't worth it. Besides, between the three of us, we had the knowledge to make them. We shall see what happens today. I know I want to grind the metal so that we can weld, if we have time to after our return.

21. Great build-thread, Sarah. I deleted the photo of your Dad's 'vette because car photos have to be 64 and earlier.
    My Dad's only new car was a 64 Ranchero. Black with red vinyl interior and a 260, V/8 and a four speed. I was just 16 and I used it for my driver's test. I used to beat that car like a rented mule! Stripped the lining off the clutch once, luckily it was still under warranty.

22. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

23. So much of any build is far from exciting or even pleasant (cleaning/sanding/grinding/organizing/etc.) , but is just as important as other aspects of the build.
    Non car people are clueless of the literally blood sweat and tears that can and often do contribute to the final finished project they see.
    Thanks for posting your build, and staying with it..the sense of accomplishment will eventually out way the trials and tribulations experienced along the way.

24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I don't know where you come up with that idea. I've used Granada spindles and disc brakes on several cars and never had a problem with them. Early Mustangs calipers are prone to leaking more so than the later Granada/Maverick/Comet/ Versailles units. Use a 75 or later Maverick or Granada master cylinder, they are all disc/drum after 75.

25. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

well it comes from tons of research, as well as unpleasant personal experience with a little thing called "bump steer" brought on by incorrect Ackermann angle... the description of which is very technical but suffice it to say that Mav/Com/Gran spindles and early Falcon's (pre '66) angles are very different and combining them is dangerous
    Cars you can use this spindle swap on are '67 & up Mustangs, '66 & up Fairlanes/Falcons/Comets but not '60-'64 Falcon/vomet this was erroneous advice offered to Mustang owners who ended up having to buy a redesigned Gran aftermarket spindle or torching the steering arm to the correct angle...just because it can be done doesn't mean it should...then there's the whole tie rod end thing... fuggedaboudit. I brought it up because it is a common misunderstanding and a safety concern...she can also rebuild her stock steering etc. and use an aftermarket disc conversion I'm just old school and could bolt together one of these cars without cutting a thing or using a single aftermarket part
    Oh yeah the Mav exh. manifold is almost identical to the HiPo 289 manifold

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  26. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

If your looking to upgrade to front disc look into Scarebird. They make some nice brackets to convert to front disc brakes. All the parts used are either 65 mustang rotors and late model GM brake rubber brake hoses and GM 1/2 ton truck calipers.
    We did the mustang swap with front suspension too. Just use a falcon center link. Loving your progress so far. The pics with your son are adorable!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Diggin' the seats, correct size cable clamps would bolt 'em right in!

28. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

you are SO right. They really have no idea how much time, patience, and love is actually built into these cars. Its truly a shame.. We had a reporter come to our show to report on cars and she needed a taxi to pick her up because she didn't even know how to dive.... yeah,,, not a lot was reported lol

29. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

they would be time period correct too! we would need to cut them down a bit tho, getting in and out was tough.

30. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

thank you! I will look into that.. I am trying not to over load myself and taking it one project at a time.