Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 ranchero build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sarahSERENADE, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Lemme guess, she’s daddy’s little girl, right?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

sarahSERENADE and loudbang like this.
  2. Big baby girl doggie. Suzzy is now 10 and loves to ride. She sits there like a kid in the back seat and looks out the windows. When we take the camper she knows she is on vacation and gets to eat vacation people food. Does not bark when inside and ignores other dogs, loves cats and has two of her own. They help in the shop when done working in the house. 100_0305.JPG
    Smokie.
    100_0304.JPG
    Hoss and Suzzy after a hard day.

3. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

So this weekend has been spent doing a lot of cleaning on all the engine parts. As you all know it's just a very time consuming, boring process. I don't feel a need to post pictures because 1.) You've all seen it before any why bother lol
    2.) I'm not sure if it would show up in picture of a before verses after anyway.
    But I'm making progress still. And the weekend is still here so if I do something worth wile to post, I'll be sure to post it!

Sent from my motorola one 5G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. If you are getting it ready to send out for any machine work be prepared to do it all over again. A competent shop should send it back clean but you still need to check.

5. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Today I did a thing. Thought I'd be buying my casket by the time I got home. At our car club meeting my dad casually brought up that we needed a crankshaft for our motor just to see what was available. After said meeting we got a phone call from another member saying their son had one and it was on the way home. We went there and he had the whole block! Sold me the whole thing for $50!! He just wanted it out of his garage... You know how that goes. This guy has a 63 falcon he's putting together and that motor came from his car, which I think is pretty sweet! This whole block is in way better condition than the one I have. We already checked the bore and it's the same... The crankshaft that I had previously had more wear (obviously it was too wore out) but it wasn't THAT different. So.. now come som research and to be honest I think it's going to come together better!

YAY!

BTW, no caskets are ordered. Yet.

6. Congrats on the motor, I hope it works out for you.

7. You probably know this Sarah but do your due diligence and make sure that you are not mixing 28 Oz with 50 Oz imbalance parts. It is easy enough to do and they will physically go together but will shake itself apart in short order. The change over date from 28 Oz to 50 Oz was in 1981 and that year parts can be either.

8. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

So it's been a while since my last update. Unfortunately for me PA has decided to go from winter to summer in less than a week. Due to the weather being unbearably cold I have not been in the garage much and I was running out of things to do inside. Fortunately the weather broke and I am now able to do garage things! Since the last time I was on here I traded some various parts I had laying around for a new 302 block with a (good) crankshaft in it. Mine was pretty worn... So it just seemed like an easy deal for me. It has new main seals in it and a new crankshaft, so to say I was excited is an understatement. With all of that out of the way, we measured the bore of the cylinders to double check they were the same, which they were. I removed the rings from the pistons and (painstakingly) cleaned them. Currently we are putting them in the new motor. We are halfway done but taking a dinner break, so I thought I'd update you on progress.

And I know I'll get some comments on my picture so before anyone says anything I do realize I need to clean the motor surface, I'm getting there lol

9. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Forgot to put my picture IMG_20210517_185358380.jpeg

10. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

11. HA! I thought I was the only one that did things like that.o_O You go girl and keep the shop inspector busy cleaning the windows.;)

12. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

First off I'd like to say that I'm sorry because I have no pictures of progress but tonight we took the the valves out. Tomorrow during my work break I will be cleaning them and getting them ready. I'm exhausted.. hoping everyone is making progress of theirs and if not I hope you're enjoying them somehow. Glad to finally have fantastic weather!

13. Let me just say that you young lady are one very determined individual. I applaud your efforts. I’m assuming that the project inspector has given his stamp of approval?

14. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Of course! While helping me as well. Sometimes I feel like I'm failing you by either not giving you all day to day updates of mini things I do, or not getting pictures of everything.. sometimes I just feel exhausted and can't working on my car.. but I have to keep in mind that it's supposed to be a fun process and I should be enjoying what I do. So please be patient with me everyone, I am only here for good times

Hoping everyone understands that. I do try to work on something every day and get something major done once a week... But I forget and sometimes I screw up and have to go back. Which makes the process longer. I know everyone here knows exactly what I mean. But considering the amount of work I've gotten done in the last week alone I am super proud of our process on this car. I'm hoping to get it done soon. Dad just retired (again lol) and I want him to be able to drive it. I want him to think of all the memories he had in it as a teenager. I want to create my own and I want my son to develop the love of cars and know how much blood, sweat, tears, and emotions are put into them. For some people it's "just a car", to others it is so much more than a car. It's all in how you look at it.

15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You've accomplished more in the relatively short time you've been working on the Ranchero than I've done in 2 years on my Ranch Wagon. AND I'm retired so I have no excuse. Don't apologize and keep up the good work as you can.

16. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Just catching your thread, pretty cool! Back in the 70's, my old mentor Mr. Eddie drove a '63 Ranchero. Always hauling around tool boxes and fixing cars in yards for people to scrap up a little dough to work on his projects when he could find the time. He came from Indy and worked @ a Pontiac dealership there in the 60's wrenching on GTOs. We built a couple of cars together and swapped parts all the time. Thanks for jogging old memories and happy wrenching!

Joe

17. Young lady, no need to apologize.:) We all know how life is and working on these old cars is a "Hobby" not a job for the most of us retired folk.;) We do it for the love of the thing and so are you.:cool: You are working to complete a vision of what you, your Dad, little boy, and husband can appreciate and enjoy.:D Keep at it when you have time and it will get done.

18. greybeard360

greybeard360

That 302 looks like a roller lifter motor. it should also have a 1 piece rear main seal. Make sure you use the correct balancer and flywheel. I am hoping you also know it won't bolt to the original trans..... it would be a 5 bolt bellhousing, the 302 is 6 bolt.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.